Discovering Our Story Review by Crystal J Johnson

Discovering Our Story Review by CrystalJJohnson Thank you Crystal! This review is AMAZING!

Author: KayeAnders

Cover/Aesthetics:

3/5 - I originally had a different review for the cover prior to reading the first chapter of the story. Based on it alone, I thought the book was going to take place in the past, which I get Stanwick's live like they are in the past, but Matthew is forging forward. Although the red is eye-catching, I don't think the pictures on the front are representing the story well. I suggest a more contemporary country/rustic cover. I think in the land of Wattpad that it will greatly help to attract more readers and get them to the first chapter of your book.

Summary:

3/5 - The summary is well written but very general and needs to give a bit more insight to Matthew and Karissa and what stands in their way of falling in love. Some suggestions: Stating that Matthew has spent his entire life working his family's small farm in Oregon and comes from humble Amish means. Point out that a past relationship has left him hurt and content in the place he is at. For Karissa--she is a small town girl living her big city dreams. Tell the potential reader about her work assignment that has brought her to cross paths with Matthew, and that she is focused on becoming a TV producer. Wrap it all up with what is pushing them together and what they will have to overcome to make the relationship work.

Grammar:

15/15 - The grammar was great. I found one point in chapter 2 where the dialogue was missing the end quotations, but other than that, it was on point.

Character Development:

15/20 - The character development of Matthew and those around him is really well done. I'm invested in him, Samuel, and Hillary. Many of my questions revolve around the Stanwick family. I like Karissa, but at the beginning, her conflict seems to all revolve around her job. We are given a quick glimpse at her take on sex and love, but nothing that indicates that she has faced some hardships or is inexperienced in the matter. A hint like the one that was given for Matthew can go a long way with her.

Plot:

15/15 - I'm going to hit this from a plot and sub-plots angle just because the main plot will be covered in my grading of originality. From the start, there are so many questions raised that I want the answers to. What happened to Hillary's mother? I'm with Samuel on this one, who broke Matthew's heart and how, is it Rachel? Can Matthew and his dad find some common ground with their farming practices? Why did Karissa want to leave the small town life, did something happen there? And of course, is this documentary going to work out for the family and Karissa? It is a tight and neat web that has been laced with complementing sub-plots. It is really well done and thought out.

Originality:

15/15 - Although there are reality shows about the Amish or blue-collar workers, I don't know if I've ever come across a book where the MC was trying to produce one. It is ingenious actually. What a great way to bring to unlikely people together.

Writing Style:

4/5 - This was so close to a 5. The descriptions were beautifully done and very clear. I could picture everything happening, Karissa in the conference room to Matthew with the goat to the both of them in the diner. Each character had a VERY distinct voice. And I got to say I love Samuel and how outgoing he is. He definitely came across as a 17-year-old boy with big dreams. I dropped it to a five because of the first chapter. I got the vibe that Matthew lives a very simple life and does the same thing in and out, but the sentence structures, in the beginning, read a bit like a list. He put on his clothes. He started the coffee. He grabbed the three newspapers. In no way do I want to see that tone eliminated, what I would like to see is it just read a little smoother by mixing up the sentence structure a bit.

Swoon/Intimate Moments:

10/10 - Who new talking about goat cheese was swoon worthy, but it is. This moment was a perfect introduction to what we can expect from the couple as their relationship progresses. Also, throw a cute kid in the mix with a handsome guy... oh God, my heart was fluttering as the adorable meter went off the charts.

How engaging is the story?:

9/10 - The only reason I took off a point was for that first chapter and the sentence structure. For me, that is where you hook the reader, and if that chapter is a little difficult to get through, readers will lose interest. The story is always moving forward which is #1 with making it engaging. There is always something new happening which had me reading on to the next chapter. Add to that, Matthew and Karissa's first encounter, and I was hooked. I want to know what is running through his head and why he chose to bail out on a friendly conversation once he knew she was the one there to speak with Samuel. The dialogue is so much fun to read, and I adore the interactions between Matthew, Karissa, Samuel, and Hillary.

Writing Style:

4/5 - This was so close to a 5. The descriptions were beautifully done and very clear. I could picture everything happening, Karissa in the conference room to Matthew with the goat to the both of them in the diner. Each character had a VERY distinct voice. And I got to say I love Samuel and how outgoing he is. He definitely came across as a 17-year-old boy with big dreams. I dropped it to a five because of the first chapter. I got the vibe that Matthew lives a very simple life and does the same thing in and out, but the sentence structures, in the beginning, read a bit like a list. He put on his clothes. He started the coffee. He grabbed the three newspapers. In no way do I want to see that tone eliminated, what I would like to see is it just read a little smoother by mixing up the sentence structure a bit.

Bonus: Supportive/ Self-love moments:

5/5 - There was one moment which really stuck out to me, and that is when Karissa comes out of the shower and Meg is on her bed. Although Meg is being Meg, the comments she makes about Karissa's body and her sex life make her uncomfortable, and she speaks up. I think this is so important. Too many times, we read where characters just accept behavior that makes them uncomfortable and they chalk it up to the personality of the other character. I thought it was amazing that she said something and worked to keep the space she shares with Meg safe for herself.

Thank you so much for participating in our contest, Kaye! We hope you like our review.

Read Discovering Our Story here: https://my.w.tt/aisR7D947Q