27

When Jughead showed me the letter from the 'Black Hood' I was shook.

'It's a sin that Cheryl is playing Carrie. Make it right, recast Cynthia in her place, or else. Black Hood'

He had come to show me, and I denied it immediately, not believing that the 'Black Hood', who was supposed to be dead, would go to this length.

"It's a classic Phantom of the Opera tactic. Mystery man sends menacing note demanding a certain diva soprano gets recast or else." Jughead suggested. I looked at him, knowing that his mind went for the most obvious link to some reference. I thought otherwise. He was looking for a slightly bigger event, whereas this was much more low key than Phantom.

"Jug, why does it have to be man? Isn't it more likely to be a jealous girl dreaming of the starring role?" I questioned him. It was like he had just been enlightened. His eyes filled with realisation as he got an idea. I stood up from my seat at the desk, leaving the note discarded on the desk and went over to kiss him. With his hands cupping my face and mine placed on his chest, I whispered to him to send out his best investigative journalist. Betty Cooper.

Staying late at school is never good, apart from when you get to sit in the wings of the auditorium scrolling through social media as yet another Cheryl drama occurs on stage with her and Josie. Jughead was the only one who had heard me sing any of the lines from the songs in the production, in fact, he was the only one who had heard me read my lines aloud. When Cheryl finished singing, I moved on stage slightly and clapped, my eyes moving to Jughead when I saw him move. He whispered something to Kevin, who then looked my way before nodding towards the beanie-clad boy.

"That was great Cheryl. Can we try it again with Cynthia, just in case she ever needs to do the scene?" He asked into the mic. My eyes widened as Cheryl smiled before walking off stage and passing me.

I didn't move. What if I was terrible? What if I missed a line?

"Go on." Cheryl called encouragingly from the wing. As I made my way to the spot beside Josie, I heard Veronica and Betty cheer. I fiddled with the long sleeves of my jumper, pulling them over the backs of my hands trying to hide my nerves. Maybe this is what Carrie would be thinking stood beside Miss Gardener. The music started and I took a deep breath before beginning.

Josie - "So many years, you've faced the world alone, frightened that life might pass you by.

Then he appears. Someone who smiles at you. This is no time to question why."

Cynthia - "That's how it starts, two unsuspecting hearts..."

Josie - "In a world where nothing's sure and nothing's ever guaranteed. You should trust the way you feel. That's the only thing that's real. It's like magic how your feelings soar."

Cynthia - "When you feel his hand in yours. That's how it starts, two unsuspecting hearts."

When we had finished, every cast member still here rose from their seats, applauding and cheering. I hugged Josie tightly, before hearing the clicking of heels running towards me. Cheryl tackled me in a hug, saying how great I was and how proud she was of me. My first taste of the spotlight wasn't as horrendous as I had imagined.

The next rehearsal came around and I was sat in my usual place, but Cheryl wan't in the room. I looked around in confusion, waiting for her to come in. The moment that Toni walked in without her and sat down in her place next to me, I knew something was wrong. Cheryl Blossom wouldn't want to miss a single moment of her time centre stage.

"Due to some unforeseen circumstances, Cheryl will no longer be playing the role of Carrie White." Everyone asked why, looking to Kevin for answers, but I looked at Jughead who just shook his head. It must have been about the letter. If Kevin thought that threat was real or he had received any other notes, then he would put Cheryl's safety first, even if they weren't true.