Chapter One

Etterian battleship, Kushin

Orbiting mid-grade planet, Earth

12252 years, 4th month

At the male's groan, Ulriq tightened his arm around his throat, halting his ability to breathe. From behind, he had both legs wrapped around the warrior's torso, his thigh muscles as taut as his arm cutting off oxygen. Four seconds, three seconds...kill him, the darkness whispered. Ulriq's vision tinted with red; his focus intensified. A need to fight, to kill, roared at him. The seductive allure bombarded his control, and he released the warrior, rolling away from him, from the temptation.

"That's the fourth warrior this morning, Ulriq." Nerx—his sub-commander—strode toward him. Ulriq snarled, bounding to his feet in a smooth motion.

"I needed the exertion." He accepted the cloth Nerx handed him, wiping the sweat dripping off his chin and drenching his chest.

"What we need is a distraction," Nerx frowned. "What I truly want is the heat of Etteria's suns on my face, to crunch the gray sand beneath my heels, and the sweet nectar of our hahyt blossoms to fill my lungs."

Ulriq grunted, the urge to see his homeworld was as strong. Too many distant memories flashed in his mind. The setting of the magnus sun on their scarlet oceans. The bright white of hahyt blossoms nestled in blue leaves, and the taste of fresh kreso in the king's hall. He glanced at Nerx, remembering their shared experiences, the number of times they had saved each other's lives, and the long journeys endured with shared determination. Staring at his glowering battle-bond, a little warmth flooded him, reminding him relationships mattered.

The moment he had received command of the battleship Kushin, an energized Nerx had bounced around him with rarely observed enthusiasm. Then they had notified him Nerx would second Ulriq's command. It was one of his fondest memories, seeing Nerx step off the docked scimitar. In that moment, peace consumed him; all was right with the universe. This decision solidified his respect for his king.

"Any sunlight would appease you. Yet we are surrounded by uninhabitable planets, or low and mid-grades, at best." Ulriq released a slow exhale, hoping to ease the pressure squeezing his chest.

"This I know. I propose we change course and discover a planet with wildlife worthy of a hunt." Nerx shifted his bulk, an indication of his restlessness.

"Fair enough." Ulriq forced a smile. The unused curl cracked his lips. He hid his wince by tossing the cloth into the waste disposal.

With a last nod at Nerx, he strode to his quarters. His footwear made no noise on the grated-metal flooring. As an Etterian, each movement must be in silence no matter the terrain. Disrobing en route to his cleansing room, he stepped into the cubicle. It sensed his core temperature and judging by the scalding water pouring over him, he was hotter than usual. Yet further evidence his emotional stability affected him. Adjusting the temperature, he hoped the icy water would cool his inner turmoil. Tugging the Maloidian clip off his braid, he flicked it to the floor. His hair unraveled, then swirled and danced in agitation.

With a deep sigh, he raised his arms and splayed his hands against the white bulkhead, lifting his face to allow the water to cascade over him. He gargled a mouthful before spitting it out. Slumping his shoulders, he lowered his hand and took care of his morning chore. For the briefest of moments, the torment eased. Yet his fulfillment remained lackluster, the fleeting joy overshadowed by irritation.

He stepped out, and the water switched off. After activating the air-dryer with a press of the blue button, he waited for it to complete its task. His body once more trembled with pent-up energy. The moment it shut off, he scooped up his clip and strode naked to the replicator to punch in an order for another set of armor.