Little Hana

Strolling alongside the shallow, muddy waters of the beach, little Hana squealed in excitement for it was her first time seeing the place. As she walks further, something grey and shiny, halfway buried in the sand caught her attention. Thinking it could be a pirate's treasure, she approaches the glimmering object. 

Upon closer inspection, she realizes a small stingray was caught up in a tangled web of plastics. She was shocked and excited for she knew, several marine species were endangered.

"Daddy! A stingray's in trouble!" she yelled out to her father.

"Leave it and come here Hana, the tail's got deadly spikes!" he replied, waving his hand frantically.

Obedient, little Hana follows her father's orders but she knew she couldn't leave the poor being. She slowly walked towards her father.

She knew she had to do something.

She picked up a nearby wooden stick and dashed to where the stingray was with her father behind, running after her.

Knowing about its harmful features, she manages to bravely free the innocent creature from the man made monstrosity he's in before her father could grab her.

Walking away in her father's arms, she looked back at the now far away stingray. She was delighted for she knew that she had to do something and was grateful that she did.

Little Hana could now also see far across the horizon. At first, there seemed to be an island, but Hana saw clearly. Piles of garbage, floating hills of it, Hana was distraught.

Now she understood why people aren't swimming or fishing anymore and why do they have to scavenge and store up any liquid that could be water.

Realizing that his daughter wasn't listening to his scolding, he stops walking and puts her down. Little Hana was facing the ground.

She was quiet for awhile. All of a sudden her face lit up and she had an idea. She'd renew the sea, by frequently taking out parts of the floating hills little by little.

On their way back, her father was convinced and took the issue seriously. Several other people from their village pitched in in little Hana's idea and in the following days, the plan was put to action.

Although her idea was rejected and stated impossible by many, there were few who volunteered. As months went on, Hana never lost hope, reaching out to more and more people for help.

People from faraway villages began hearing about her plan and gradually, the bits consisting the hills afloat in the middle of the sea decreased. Liters of clean water were being added to the tanks, kids started swimming and fishes were sighted once again.

The now all grown up Hana strolling alongside the clean, shallow waters of the beach, sees a faraway sinking yellow plastic, she swam deeper to reach it and to her surprise, she finds herself swimming alongside an old, grey friend.

She thought to herself, she knew she had to do something and was grateful that she did.