Chapter 11

The town of Nordstram was still asleep by the time Roland and Justine had arrived there with Daniel and David. They were brought to the Vanity Library, a place known by the Brotherhood as a place for meetings- or refuge. Roland heard from his father that under the Vanity Library there was something like a temple- that is where the Brotherhood members had their initiations. Vanity Library was named such for its compelling beauty- a cathedral with stained glass windows- yet was not used so much for a church.

They passed thousands of books, Justine admiring the high ceilings, completely enthralled by the idea of staying in a Library that looked like a 'castle.' This was Roland's first time ever being here himself, so he entertained her wonderment. David, however did not. Daniel was more kind however, and even eager to entertain Justine's imagination.

They were not brought to the temple though, rather a large room with cots lining the walls. The room was with only one window, and rather dull compared to all that they had just seen.

"This is where you will be staying for now. Someone will come in the morning to speak with the both of you. In the meantime you should settle in. I will have one of the women come clean Miss Justine up," Daniel said gruffly. He was a grizzly man, everything about him huge and tyrannical, but he smiled at little Justine. Daniel rolled his eyes and left them alone.

"Can I speak with you for a moment?" Roland asked Daniel.

Daniel motioned for Roland to step out of the room, closing the door to give them privacy from the child's ears. There was no one in the hall.

"What happens after this? When Vincent comes back I mean," Roland said quietly.

"Vincent will study everything there and document his findings. Edmund Blackwood and Irvin did not come back so I suspect they are dead. Your father- I am sorry, but the odds of surviving an attack like that- you are lucky you made it out at all."

"We have no money. Everything I had was burned to the ground."

"When Vincent comes back he will decide if you will take a Council seat in the Brotherhood. He was next after Edmund to take charge. Money will not be a worry for you."

"And if that monster comes looking for us? He took down an entire village- Brotherhood members and all."

"I doubt that Edmund or your father gave much of a fight," Daniel scoffed. "The temple of Lazarus is a fortress- he will not even be able to get through the doors. Rest and stop worrying, you and young Miss are safe now."

"The Library and the Temple are two different things. I need to know how to defend myself against Caius," Roland said impatiently.

Daniel hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether or not he should speak what was on his mind. "Someone will be here in the morning. Vincent is quick at what he does, and when we are given the okay we will discuss those matters with you. Until then, please wait and rest."

Roland grew agitated but nodded his head, knocking on the door and waiting for Justine's small voice. "Come in!" She called out. She was jumping from bed to bed, testing out each one.

"Are you hungry?" He asked her. She immediately stopped and rushed over to him excitedly.

"Yes!" She exclaimed, holding her belly.

"Someone is going to be right upstairs in a few moments to take you for a bath and something to eat."

Someone knocked on the door and Justine's face lit up. She reached for the door handle but Roland stopped her. "Never answer the door for anyone unless you absolutely know who they are."

She nodded her head but was miffed, crossing her arms and blushing.

Roland opened the door and greeted an elderly woman with a kind smile plastered on her face. She held a tray with corn and pig roast, enough for three men. Justine instantly was sold and opened the door wider.