Chapter Five: Plans

Cordelia

We’re all gathered around the dining table. James, Matthew, Tessa, and Charlotte and me. All except for Will, who’s pacing the room like a madman.

When Will and Tessa got the message, they returned to the institute at once. Charlotte had seen the grim expressions on their faces, and came back with them. The conclave was disbanded at once. The matter of a kidnapped shadowhunter was of utmost importance. 

They are all blaming themselves, Will and Tessa about how they left us alone in the institute. James and Matthew saying how they should have accompanied Lucie and me to the kitchen, Bridget saying how she should have realised something was wrong sooner.

But really, it’s all my fault. I was there when she was taken. I’m her parabatai. I should have protected her. But I was unable to do anything, at the time she needed me most. 

They’re all trying to comfort me, saying how there was nothing I could’ve done. But if I had realised sooner, if I had only managed to warn Lucie in time, this mightn’t have happened. Someone must have knocked me out, because all I remember is waking up to the anxious voices of Matthew and James, asking me if I was alright. I had been lying on the floor of the dining room, dizzy and disorientated. And all I knew was that Lucie was gone.

It had been Jessamine’s ghost who first warned James and Matthew about the intruders. They had seemed suspicious to her. But she was confused, she wasn’t sure who they were, and whether they were friend or foe. For all she knew, they could simply have been fellow shadowhunters, paying a friendly visit. James and Matthew had decided to investigate, anyway. But by that time, it was too late. By the time they found me, lying on the floor, the kidnappers were long gone. I don’t know how much time had passed when I was unconscious, but it would’ve been more than enough for the kidnappers to take Lucie somewhere far, far away. Especially if they had a portal.

Our main concern now is how they had managed to get into the institute without anyone noticing. They were shadowhunters, I insisted. They were reluctant to believe me, but it was the only possible explanation. The institute had wards that kept out everyone without shadowhunter blood. And the kidnappers had been so quiet, their footsteps unheard until the last minute. This could only have been accomplished by using stealth runes. And I vaguely remember rune markings on the men’s necks and hands…this confirms it then, Lucie was kidnapped by shadowhunters. But why? What were their motives? Why capture Lucie, but leave me here? 

The memories are starting to come back, now. Still foggy and confused, but I’m starting to remember. There were three of them, they were tall, and wearing gear. I couldn’t see their faces…yes that’s right, I couldn’t see their faces because they were wearing masks. Black, leather masks that obscured their whole faces. Apart from the masks, I don’t remember anything else strange about them…

My head aches. But I have to remember…I have to save Lucie…anything could have happened between now and then. She could be hurt…she might even be…

No, they can’t have harmed her, or else why would they have gone to all the trouble of capturing her in the first place? They could have killed her here and then. And I would know if anything happened to her…wouldn’t I? I am her parabatai. 

I’m not sure of anything anymore. I thought we were safe here, I thought that nothing would happen to us, as long as we stayed inside the institute. But I have been proved wrong. What if she really was… 

I shake my head, clearing the thought. No, it’s too late to change the past. What’s happened has already happened. All we can do now is track down Lucie’s kidnappers and save Lucie before it’s too late. But where to start? All we know right now is that the kidnappers were shadowhunters. They could’ve been from anywhere. I didn’t see their faces, I can’t say what they looked like. All I know is that they were quite tall, but then again, a lot of people a quite tall. 

“Why don’t we ask Jessamine if she knows anything else?” suggests Tessa suddenly, “She saw them come in, didn’t she?”

Charlotte looks up. “That’s a good idea, actually. She might remember something about them. Will?”

Will stops pacing at last, and he collapses into a chair as if all the strength had gone out of him. “I suppose I should be the one to ask her,” he says, “after all, I’m the only one who can see her, and she only ever speaks to me.”

Will sighs, and runs his hands through his thick, black hair. He looks utterly defeated.

“I’ll go talk to her, now.” Will stands up and starts walking out of the room. “We’re going to bring Lucie back, safe and sound, no matter what it takes.”