8.1.1

Ahsoka groaned and rolled over in her bed as someone pounded on her front door. She double-checked the time on the clock mounted on her wall, but it was still the middle of the night. It was too early for visitors, and Ahsoka was an early riser, so that was saying something. Besides, who would visit her?

She pushed the sheets back and walked carefully back to the main room, where the door was connected to. She reached out with the Force, trying to see who the knocker was, but when she did she did not hesitate to open the door.

When it slid back Assaj Ventress was standing behind it, her mask up and a bag in her hands. "I was wondering if you were going to answer."

Ahsoka raised an eyebrow. "So you did know I was sleeping? Something had better be wrong."

"Let's start with the obvious." Ventress folded her arms and nodded at Ahsoka's stomach, which was doing better, but still was weak. "You're supposed to be dead."

Ahsoka rolled her eyes and smiled. "Come on in, there's no point in making you stand outside." She stepped aside so Ventress could slip past her, and after checking that her visitor hadn't been followed she locked the door and led the assassin to the main room.

It wasn't advised that you should let dangerous killers into your house when they come knocking at your door, but Ventress had been the one to help set her up with a house and had stocked it up with tons of things Ahsoka would never have thought of. Food, clothes, supplies, a few appliances, furniture, and a couple of other basic needs. Despite their rocky past, Ahsoka had no reason to doubt Ventress now. Not after she had helped her this much.

"I'd offer you food," Ahsoka told her, "but I wasn't expecting visitors at 2 in the morning."

Ventress lowered herself onto the couch, and Ahsoka sat on the opposite end, making room for Ventress' bag, whatever was inside it. "Well, I'm a bounty hunter, Tano, I work in the dark. If I went running around with a mask and weapons during the day, I might get arrested. Of course," she eyed the Togruta accusingly, but playfully. "If you had cleared my name as you said, that wouldn't be an issue."

Ahsoka groaned. "First of all, the Republic wouldn't have believed a word I said, which I didn't realize. Second, you would have gone right back to bounty hunting, so it wouldn't have mattered." She sighed and leaned back. "I do still owe you, twice now. You really outdid yourself with this place."

Ventress chuckled. "Don't worry, Sister," she teased, alluding to her Dark alias. "After what you went through, you deserve it. Believe me, I know."

Ahsoka winced at the mention of her old name. "Don't remind me."

"Sorry," Ventress apologized, realizing the depth that she had been hurt. "I'm numb to it. It slides off me now."

Ahsoka nodded, understanding but still a little shaken. "How long until it slides off me?"

Ventress lowered her gaze. "For me, a while. I had to get over my anger before it stopped affecting me so much."

"I thought the reason you agreed to help me in the first place was that you wanted revenge. I'm not complaining, not anymore..."

"It was because I was there, years ago. I guess I'm warming up to you, pet, but I've been betrayed by Tyrannus too."

Ahsoka forced a smile. "I did the betraying this time around."

"For both of us," Ventress affirmed, and Ahsoka nodded before she went on. "I saw your fight with Skywalker before you went down. How's that healing?"

"Oh, that?" Ahsoka lifted up her top, a light razorback shirt, unbloodied, thankfully. She pulled it up far enough that Ventress could see the healing wound. "It's not that bad."