Chapter 22

A L G E E

Carrying the two boxes of food back to the hospital room, I was caught off guard at the rush of nurses going into the hospital room. I felt a mix of confusion and worry because I didn't know What was going on.

A few seconds later I saw Dayna leave the room with a weird look on her face and I had a bad feeling.

"Algee," she said coming up to me.

"What's going on?"

"He woke up, he made it through." A smile plastered across her face and it felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

"Can we go in there?" I asked her.

"No, not yet. They're doing something right now."

"Well, Imma call everyone and tell them."

I gave Dayna the food and walked off to the side. The first number I dialed was his mom's. Even though she wanted to be there everyday for him, she still had to  go to work to keep providing for her family.

"Hey Mrs.Grey," I greeted her.

"Hi Algee, how are you?"

I know you're busy working right now, but I got some good news.

"I'm doing fine. I know you're busy working right now, but I got some good news. Bryshere just woke up."

The next thing I heard was her crying on the other line.

"Algee please tell the doctor that I'll be there shortly."

...

It had been 2 weeks since Bryshere woke up in the hospital, but he wasn't quite able to go back to school yet. I promised his mom that I would stay with him when she couldn't and help him keep caught up with his school work.

I was currently on my way to pick Dayna up for school. Since I've decided to help Bry, my mom finally let me have my car back. She still had to build her trust back up with me.

I pulled into Dayna's driveway but I was too lazy to call her so I just honked obnoxiously until she came out.

"Boy what the hell is wrong with you?! You know how early it is, you gon have these black people coming out they house cussing you out!"

"Like you are?" I said just to annoy her even more.

Just then, she back handed me in the face.

"Nigga what was that for!?"

"For being annoying."

I didn't say anything else because to be honest, I was a little salty. When we got to the school I got out of the car without talking and waiting for Dayna.

"Hey wait up!" She called out after me, but I kept walking. "Aww what's wrong, You still mad that I slapped you? It wasn't even that hard," She busted out laughing.

Her laugh was contagious.

"I'll see you later at lunch Dayna."