Chapter 19

DAMON’S POV

So some where during the horrifying events with the tomb vampires, Elena let Stefan feed from her to get his strength up. I’m going to have to tell her that that is a big no no. He’s trying to act like everything’s fine but it’s not. I may not be the best older brother but I know when something is up.

I walk into his bedroom with a glass of blood in my hand. He’s doing push ups on the floor, music blaring. “Could you turn it up a little bit? It’s not annoying yet.” I yell and he stands up.

“Sorry.” He says seriously.

I flip the switch on the stereo and turn it off. “When are you going back to school?”

“Soon.” One word answers…I love it.

“Oh, come on. Just drink already. Come on, this self-detox is not natural.” I tempt him with my glass but he ignores it.

“Can you please get that away from me?”

“How long did it take you to wean yourself of it the last time you indulged?” He continues to ignore me which means I’m right. “That’s not good.”

“I’ll be fine. It just takes a little bit of time.” He says.

“I don’t get it; you know, you don’t have to kill to survive. That’s what blood banks are for. I haven’t hunted a human in…God way to long.” I conclude to myself.

“Oh I’m impressed.”

“It’s completely self-serving. I’m trying to get the town off the trail of vampires which is not very easy considering that there is an entire tomb of them running around.”

“What are we planning on doing about that?”

“We are not going to do much of anything if you don’t have your strength. There’s nothing wrong with a healthy diet of human blood from a blood bank. You're not actually killing anyone.” I try to tell him.

“I have my reasons.”

I frown at him and step closer. “Well, what are those holier than thou reasons? You know, we never actually discussed this. You know, I’d love to hear this story.” I take a seat on his bed.

He smirks at me and crosses his arms across his chest. “You’re really enjoying this, aren’t you? Watching me struggle?”

“Very much so.” I nod.

“I hate to break it to you Damon, but…I actually have it under complete control.”

“You do? Well, then you should just carry on, making the rest of us vampires look bad.” I say, standing up, leaving my glass on the table and walking towards the door. “Have a great day, Stefan.”

I know the blood is killing him and when I walk back into the room he is staring at it. “Oh, hey, almost forgot something. Oops.” I tease as I grab the glass, putting it to my lips and exiting the room.

ASHLEY’S POV

I wake up for school and get dressed before heading to Elena’s. This is the new routine. I’m always up before her and have to go get her moving so that we aren’t late for school.

When I walk in the front door, she is yelling up the steps for Jeremy. “Come on Jeremy, going to school! Walking out the door now!”

Jenna comes around the corner with a thermos in her hand. “Forgot this.” She hands it to Elena and smiles at me. “Good morning, Ashley.”

“Good morning.” I smile back and Elena finally acknowledges me with a weak smile. She is super stressed right now.

She walks over to the front door and opens it to reveal a man who was just about to knock. “Elena!” He exclaims and her face lights up.