Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Elle's POV

“Who was that man, Ellie?” Scott asked as I helped him get out of his Pj’s once he calmed down from his nightmare.

“He’s our uncle. You know the one I’ve been telling you about? Well anyway, he’s letting us live here now.” I said with a reassuring smile on my face that actually did meet my eyes.

Scott was the only one who I could be vulnerable around, and he was the only one who deserved it and needed it as much as I did.

“Is he…” The rest of his question got muffled from me tugging on a green t-shirt over his head but I got the gist of it.

“He’s very nice Scotty,” I said as I helped him put his arms through the holes before helping him put his shoes on. “And I want you to behave for him okay? I mean, look at the room he made for you baby. If that doesn’t tell you to give him a chance then I don’t know what will.”

My tone was gentle but stern as I knew first-hand what a trouble maker he could be towards people he didn’t know, and I knew I’d be getting a lot of calls from his new school when he started.

He looked around the room for the fourth time since he woke up, the wonder and glee in his eyes making me have a broad smile on my face in turn as I watched him.

“He made this?” He looked back at me, his green eyes shining and I recorded the image to memory.

My goal in life was to make sure my little brother was happy every day, and now I’d achieved just a little of that target I was going to strive to keep it there.

And since Joe was so instrumental in helping me do that, I vowed to make sure there would be no more screw ups and mistakes where our past was concerned.

I was not going to drag that man down with me.

I nodded, the smile still on my face, and the happiness on his face shone as he no doubt saw the calm on mine that hadn’t been there for years.

“I promise Ellie-belly,” He promised and I held out my pinkie which he took in his and we squeezed the pact between the fingers before letting go.

“Good, now come on; let’s go brush your teeth.” I said as I stood up and took his hand in mine leading him to my bedroom.

“My rooms so much cooler than yours,” He giggled as he looked around and I grinned down at him.

“Yes it is,” was all I said as I lead him to the bathroom, loving how he gasped over the two sinks.

I took the stool from the corner of the room and put it in front of one of the sinks and stood him up on it so he could be in reach of the basin.

“Hey Ellie, how come the magic cream didn’t work on your face today?” Scott whispered as I squirted some toothpaste on his toothbrush.

I froze as I looked at him through the mirror, hating the sad look that entered the expression on his face.

After the first time he was old enough to realise that bruises and cuts were bad and painful (he’d fallen over whilst running) and he saw that I had covered it up with concealer he decided it was ‘magic cream’ that made them disappear, pain and all.

And since that always made him sort of happy again, I made sure that before he got up in the morning, the concealer was on my face so he believed that it actually worked and made it truly disappear – Except for today.

“I probably put the wrong one on yesterday. I’ll put some more on while you brush your teeth.” I said with a smile as I handed him the brush.