Chapter 3

Shay

I sat quietly on the bed as the doctor, an older man with kind grey eyes behind thick silver spectacles, he had thick salt-and-pepper hair, and his hands were gentle as he looked at mine, his voice soft as he informed me he was giving me a local anesthetic before giving me sewtures where I'd cut myself the worst.

"There, change the bandages morning and night every day for the next three days, after that you shouldn't need them. I'm going to leave you some painkillers, it should be enough to last you the week. When you shower, be careful not to get the stitches wet, other than that you should be fine."

"Thank you," I murmured, my body rigid as I tried to ignore the presence of the other man in the room. Ian was leaning against the dresser, his arms crossed over his broad chest, and I could feel his eyes drilling into me. The truth was, I hadn't been able to look at him since that kiss, feeling all kinds of confused and out of my element, and also slightly terrified of the attraction that was obviously there but I couldn't explain.

I was not into men like Ian Grady, I never had been, having made the decision early on my life that I would never fall for someone like my father, I'd always gone out of my way to avoid those type of men. Now, here I was, in a seriously messed up situation with just that type of man.

"It's important that you eat something before you take those pills, sweetheart. They're strong, might make you sick on an empty stomach."

I opened my mouth to reply when Ian beat me to it.

"I'll sure she eats," For some reason, his words my heart pound inside my chest, nerves going haywire inside my body.

The doctor, who's name I'd learned was Leonard, but went by Len, looked between me and Ian, a thoughtful expression settling on his face.

"I see," he muttered, and I wondered what exactly it was he saw.

"Thanks for coming Doc, I got it from here," Ian rumbled in that rough voice of his.

"At least I had an agreeable patient this time," the doctor muttered seemingly to himself and I was curious about the kind of patients he normally had.

Packing the bag he'd brought with him, he picked up and looked at me over the top of his glasses.

"You take care now, honey. And remember, don't do anything that might tear open your stitches."

"I won't," I promised softly, and he nodded before he gave Ian a look and I watched the two men leave the room, and I didn't make a move to follow them.

After what happened the last time I was alone with Ian, I was better off hiding inside this room until this whole mess was over and dealt with.

It was ten long minutes when Ian prowled into the room, a dark expression on his face.

"I need to head out for a while, Declan will stay in the apartment with you till I get back."

I stared at the door that was now empty, blowing out a relieved breath as I heard the murmur of male voices in the living room and then the sound of a door closing.

Thank God, one less thing for me to worry about.

***

Ian

He shouldn't have fucking kissed her. Now he had the taste of her in his mouth, the feel of her tight little body close to his imprinted on his memory, the way her tits had pressed against his chest, how she'd given him everything he demanded. Fucking shit.

Stepping out into the crisp night-air, he put his head back and took a deep breath through his nose, filling his lungs with the fresh air. Tipping his head back down, he caught movement out the corner of his eye and spotted Matty prowling around the side of the building, eyes on alert.