Chapter 2

Deep beneath the dark twisted waters sat a gleaming ghost ship. In the belly of the ship was a mermaid. Her silvery scales glittered in the half-light, her long dark hair rippling in the currents. She wore a plain black robe that somehow made her even more beautiful.

Before her was a shrine, to the dark goddess, Morsa. The mermaid smiled, her eyes glistening murderously as she sat a tiny heart shaped shell ring on the altar. And the mermaid began to chant. She waved her arms frantically, conjuring an image of another merl. This one had coppery hair, and a sleek copper tail with pink fins. The mermaid smiled, her voice lilting over octaves and arpeggios and she spun an elaborate songspell.

Morsa, with your favor,

Revenge at last shall be mine to savor,

Give me this mermaid's appearance, voice, and song,

I will bring you a sacrifice, not do you wrong.

Standing in the corner of the room, another mermaid watched, partially hidden by black curtains. She had trained this merl for the past three years, showed her the ways of Morsa. Kharis, a priestess of the dark goddess, had wished that this mermaid would become a priestess, like herself, but she was bent on revenge.

The mermaid's chanting grew higher and louder, rising through the water. She sang of hatred and death, taking back what she once had. Then, as suddenly as she had begun, the mermaid stopped. She collapsed to the ground, exhausted. Kharis rushed out, helping the mermaid to stand. The priestess backed away as black light began to flash, settling over the shell ring that still lay on the altar.

The mermaid smiled. She had gained Morsa's favor, and the goddess had given her what she had wished for.

Carefully, the mermaid took the ring and slipped it onto her finger. In a flash, she was a look-alike of the mermaid whose picture she had created. She was almost ready.