Prologue

In the faraway Elvish kingdom of Anvanya, there lived a good and wise king, named Amegrae. King Amegrae helped educate the people, and he made sure that magic prospered. When his wife gave birth to a non-magical son, the king tried everything to help his son develop magical powers, yet nothing worked. As the son,Arthion, grew older, he developed a hatred towards all elves that had magical abilities. When the king died, the prince poisoned his mother in order to claim the throne. His first order as king was to place the elves with magical abilities into different categories based on their skills levels. He created four groups: yellow for elves that had little to no magic abilities; green for elves that had untrained magical powers; blue for elves that have a lot of magical ability and were very well trained; and black for the very rare, very strong magicians.

Within the groups there were different shades so that everyone was labeled as best as possible. Everyone had to wear a bracelet that showed what group they belonged to, and any violators would be arrested. Once King Arthion had all of his subjects labeled, he ordered his soldiers to round up every green, blue, and black bracelet wearing elf and he had them killed. 

In order to ensure that his control of the people remain enforced, the King created a test that all of the five year old elvish children had to complete in order to find their power level. So every year, the king sent out soldiers to round up the five year old in every village and town his kingdom, and have them brought over to the capitol. The kids were then placed in a room where several different tests were given to the children. After a week any of the children who scored in the yellow or green power range where set back to their families. The children who showed the ability to be in the blue or black range were whisked off and simply reported missing. 

Several years passed by, and the Test began to be a time of great terror. Parent fear that their kids would disappear, but nothing could be done. During this time, King Arthion decided to look for a queen. The king fell madly in love with Vanya, the Princess of the kingdom Olalilin, even though she was a dark green level. While Princess Vanya fear that her future children would be in danger, she consented to marry the King. They married and eventually had four children. 

The first child was a girl named Sabariel and her Test showed that she had a pale blue level. When the king heard this he was angry, but the queen managed to convince him that he should keep her alive. The Queen promised that even though she had potential to have great power, she would make sure that their daughter would never learn how to use her powers. Their next child, Megildur, and he had the same level as his sister. The Queen wished to have no more than two children, because she knew that the King would allow no more children with such high magical ability to live under his roof. However they eventually had another son, and they named him Dûrion, or the dark one because when he was born lighting hit the castle and a whole wing burned to the ground. The king was extremely pleased that when Dûrion took the Test that he score in the yellow range. The knowledge that least one of her children would be safe gave the Queen hope that their final child would also not have any magical abilities. However that was not to be so. 

A couple of years later, the Queen gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Estelwen. The second the babe was placed in her arms, Queen Vanya knew that the girl was in grave danger. The newborn seemed to pulse with power, but there was no way to hide the girl’s potential power from her father. The newest member of the royal family only had five years to live unless the Queen found a way to keep her away from all magic, which would be nearly impossible because the higher an elves power level the more they are drawn to magic.