- Xeus: It is done -

Planet Etteria

The Royal Court at Issneen

12252 years

Warmth swelled Enyl's chest, but he tamped it down, stiffening his shoulders. He ignored the court's high ceilings of white Fuyra stone, the indigo and gold tapestries, indicative of his lineage.

"This year's Gifting did not have a single pairing. None of the presented females were able to summon the Ethera," King Xeus of Etteria announced. Glancing around the court, he met the blue gazes of his council members and ambassadors.

What mattered was his father's words, and the crisis they were in. The Gifting was a ceremony held every year for unclaimed females, sixteen years of age and older. They paraded before seeking males in the hopes of finding their life force. It had failed again, with yet another year lost.

The heavy burden of their failure and its effect on their future weighted his father's shoulders. "It is time we search beyond our borders. We have no other recourse left to us."

At his announcement, dissent rippled through the crowded court. Enyl hid his deep sigh, wishing the weight of his people's future rested on his shoulders, more so today than ever before. Each lineage had representatives in attendance. The rainbow colors of their cloaks were vivid against the white and blue of Etteria's court. A few males he respected, others he found taxing, but all were honorable as expected of Etterians.

"Taint our bloodline with inferior species?" The angry comment came from Ambassador Brenin.

Enyl was not surprised. He had not experienced intense emotions since he was a damu, but if he could, he would hate this male. Brenin's sole purpose was to object to every decision the king made. Enyl would admit though, Brenin did make his father consider his decisions with more care. Alongside him stood his niece. Enyl suppressed a scowl, making a mental note to steer clear of her today. Not that she was not beautiful or precious as an Etterian female. She hoped for more between them. He was not so inclined.

"We are at sixteen males to every female, Brenin. Three years ago, it was nine males, and twelve years prior, it was four males to one female." Anger and frustration tainted his father's voice. Enyl understood his father's struggle. Without Dar Eths, the Etterian nation would fade into obscurity. "Our numbers are declining. We need to diversify. A single male lost is unacceptable. I am informing you out of courtesy. Etteria has released the DNA to all known worlds in the form of a blood test." He drew in a slow, deep breath. "The void is growing within us all. We need to find our mates and birth daughters before we sacrifice ourselves in meaningless death."

Father swept his gaze across the court, portraying a firm and unrepentant stance. From the side of the dais, Enyl searched for discontent. Brenin's pursed lips meant Father had won this round. Remaining calm, Enyl maintained his stoicism since it was an expected Etterian trait. 'To feel was to fail' was the Etterian mantra they lived by. Father strode off the dais to where Enyl waited.

"I see you do not agree, Enyl." Anger seeped into his voice, his implication clear.

"I may not have voiced this earlier, Father, but I trust your decision, believe and pray it will work. I am a male eager for a pairing and intrigued with any compatible species we will find. Would they have biological or physical similarities?"

"I am as concerned. We have our best minds devising tests to ensure compatibility. We are not certain a compatible species will spark the Ethera in our people."

In the final stages of training as damu, all Etterians' ice-blue eyes darkened to indigo when the last volatile emotion drained from them. Paired with a non-Etterian Dar Eth meant her eyes would not pale as his would when the Ethera struck. To prove a successful pairing would rely on his own eye color conversion. He sucked in a sharp breath, hope claiming control of his emotions before he tamped it down.