15: Future

It had take him a while, but Steve had finally accepted it

It had take him a while, but Steve had finally accepted it. His beloved Percy was gone and wouldn't return. It was just the sad truth.

Of course, Percy would always have a place in his heart, but he couldn't continue to dwell on the misery and pain- he had to look toward the future and hope for the best. And that was exactly what he had done.

He walked through the cemetery with bouquet of lilies in one hand. Lilies... Those were Percy's favorites.

He finally reached the headstone he was looking for, taking a seat next to it. Of course, he was careful to not disturb any of the other graves.

"Hey, Perc", he started softly, placing the flowers on the young man's grave. "I know I haven't been around much lately and I- I'm sorry about that. Sometimes it's just... hard. Some days I still can't believe you're gone- wake up looking for you on particularly bad days. Part of me still blames myself. If I had've kept walking... But that's not important. I, um... I miss you. But I thought I should tell you that Bucky and I are... that's a thing now."

It felt like he was betraying his lover with those words, but Percy would have had no objections. He always knew that the two had something special.

"I hope you're doing well, wherever you are. Maybe I'll see you again... one day. I guess the only thing left to say now is that I love you, Percy, and you're always in my heart."

And if Percy could have, he would have said it back. But he was no more than a spirit now, one who was finally at rest. He had to stop protecting and comforting his loved ones. Percy seemed to find himself getting closer and closer to that white light, but he paused long enough to look at Steve who had now been joined by Bucky. A lone tear slipped down his cheek. Maybe it was of sadness and envy, maybe it was of happiness. Either way, both Steve and Percy moved on that day...

October 24, 2018

The End.