A Different Sort of Annoyance

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter

Lily was sick and tired of James Potter. This was one time too many. He was ruining her life at Hogwarts, and she would stand for it no longer. She stormed onto the Quidditch Pitch.

"POTTER!" She yelled. He was the only one flying, and it was a bit late to be out. Lily didn't care though, because less witnesses meant she could probably slap him if she got annoyed enough. Which was a distinct possibility.

"Alright, Evans?" He called down.

"NO I AM NOT ALRIGHT! I AM SICK AND TIRED OF YOU INTERFERING WITH MY LIFE!" James did a rather impressive dive and landed on the ground in front of Lily.

"So, what have I done this time, Evans?" he asked in a conversational tone.

"Don't act all innocent. I know that spell on Diggory's bag was your doing, and I know that you were the one who put that potion in the chocolates I gave him that caused him to blurt out that he loved Miranda five times each class, and I know he broke up with me right after! Why can't you just keep your nose out of my business?"

"Because he's not good enough for you." James said.

"And you are? You've been tearing up my love life ever since I started dating! DO YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE SIXTEEN YEARS OLD AT THE END OF YOUR SIXTH YEAR AND HAVE NEVER BEEN KISSED? OF COURSE NOT, BECAUSE YOU'RE JAMES POTTER AND YOU DON'T HAVE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS FALLING AT YOUR FEET. GO CHASE ONE OF THEM. WHEN SOMEONE ACTUALLY WANTS TO DATE ME I'M LUCKY TO GET THAT CHANCE. AND YOU RUIN IT EVERY TIME. I'M TIRED OF GETTING MY HEART BROKEN, AND I'LL NEVER GO OUT WITH YOU BECAUSE ALL YOU'VE CAUSED ME IS PAIN!" Lily had tears streaming down her face.

    "You've never been kissed?" asked James.

    "NO AND I WISH I COULD SAY DIFFERENT BUT YOU HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING." James looked at her wordlessly. Finally he said,

"Diggory was cheating."

"Liar," Lily said.

"Want proof?" James asked. Lily looked at him strangely.

"How could you prove that?"

"I saw him with Miranda earlier. You know, his 'friend' from Ravenclaw. And if I'm right, they'll still be in the same broom cupboard right now."

"That's not possible. How could you know that? And he broke up with me-"

"-yesterday," James finished. "Come on Evans, if he moved on that quickly, then he wouldn't have a problem breaking up with you. Which would mean it wasn't my fault. But he seemed to be quite dedicated to your relationship. Until he decided that Miranda was better, apparently."

"How can you prove they're in a cupboard then? By the time we get back to the castle, they could be long gone, even if they were there in the first place." James looked at her seriously.

"Evans, I care a great deal about proving this to you, but let me say something first. Before, when I messed things up, I was crazy jealous and none of those guys had done anything. But this time I swore to do nothing. It hurt to watch every day, but you were happy and I didn't want to change that. But when I found out he was cheating I knew you'd never believe me, so I wanted him to break up with you. That potion was a variation on a simple truth drought. Not nearly as powerful as Veritiserum, but it got the job done. I'm sorry if I hurt you, it was never my intention, but I didn't want you to be upset about this later. Now you have more time to heal, and you'll spend less time believing a lie."

Lily was still skeptical, but something about the way that James was looking at her told her that he wasn't lying about not doing it out of jealousy. He might've been jealous, but he seemed like he had wanted to protect her. So she decided that she wanted his proof that Amos really had cheated.