Chapter 19

He's hurting so much. His pain is so strong I can feel it wrapping around my heart. How could he think it was his fault? How could his mum let him think it was his fault? It was an accident.

I wrap my arms around him as we lay on the bed, simply holding onto each other. He presses his lips to my forehead gently and I move closer to him.

"I'm sorry, Annie," he whispers gently and I hate how it hurts so much.

"It was an accident, Jason. I don't need you to apologise to me for your past. We both have things that are dark and things that we don't want to relive, but it's ok, because we have each other," I say softly and his arms tightened around me.

"How long do I have you for, Annie?" he whispers and I feel his pain inside of me ache and hurt even more.

"As long as we're given," I whisper and he growls softly as he pulls me flush against his body and buries his face against my neck.

"I want you forever," he breathes and I grip his hair in my hands and hold him to me.

"I know," it's the only thing I can say. We don't speak again after that and I soon feel his arms loosen gently. I know by how his breathing evens out that he's fallen asleep.

How is it possible to love him so much, in what feel like such a short time? I don't want to leave him. I don't want to die. But I can't have his life in my hands. I can't. I look at him as he shifts his body softly and pulls me into his side. My head rests against his chest as his arm wraps around my waist protectively. The tears in my eyes burn and my whole body aches with pain, both physical and emotional but I can't do anything except watch him as he sleeps.

"I love you, Jason. More than you'll ever possibly know. But I can't hold your life in my hands. I don't want to hurt you and I know when I die, I'll break your heart. Please don't hate me for it. I'm selfish, Jason. Selfish enough to want even a little more time with you," I whisper very softly as I touch his cheek with the tips of my fingers.

His face is so relaxed, his skin soft and warm. I never want this moment to end, even when a single tear falls from my jaw and soaks into his skin.

"Love me forever, Jason, but be happy without me," I murmur before I curl into him and hold on. I don't know how long I have left. I could die tonight, tomorrow, but I'm going to make the most of my time with Jason, even if I don't have that much time left.

                                                                                    *  

I sit on the edge of the bed, watching as Jason pulls his T-shirt on over his head. I'm already dressed, having gotten up before he'd woken, but I wait for him to get ready before we go down.

"You ok?" he asks gently and I look up and nod.

"I'm fine," I add when he continues to watch me closely. Moving on silent feet across the room, he bends down and kisses me. I sigh softly in pleasure as I slip my hands into his hair, the strands still slightly damp after his shower. He traces his tongue across my lips, coaxing me to part them and let him in. 

"We should go down," I murmur, but he growls playfully into my mouth as he pushes me down onto the bed and deepens the kiss. His hand slips under my dress and his fingers brush the inside of my thigh. I gasp softly into his mouth and I feel him smile.

"I want you," he whispers. My body heats even more, wanting him just as much.

"We can't. We're in your mum's house," I breathe as he cups one of my breasts through the material of my summer dress in answer.