Chapter Fourteen

Scarlett sits at the kitchen table with her hands clasped together, chin resting on top of them. Olivia has left maybe an hour ago now. Scarlett watched as Frank and Jack talk amongst themselves, flipping through a child's book, the same book that made Frank run away one time when they first met. Scarlett was close enough to hear what they were saying but she was tuned out at the moment and she just studied two of her favorite men that sat at her kitchen table. 

Jack was pointing to some of the pictures in the book and Frank had one of his arms draped on the back of Jack's chair and the other rests on the table, resting on the edge of the book. Both of them were leaning forward, paying close attention to the book. Well, Frank paid more attention to Jack more than anything. Frank would always make sure to look at Jack when he would laugh or when he would be reading. He had such a content look on his face and a small smile stayed on his face. Scarlett wished she knew what he was thinking when he looked at her son. She wished she could read his mind.

Frank smiled a little more when Jack made fun of one of the pictures.  He couldn't believe he was here right now. With the two people that showed him love again. Frank watched Jack, feeling his heart puff with pride. Jack wasn't technically his son but he loved him as such. Frank loves him like he's his own and he just wants to stay in the moment. Frank looks up and catches Scarlett staring at them. She smiles shyly and looks away from Frank and to Jack. He wondered what she was thinking. Frank let his eyes stay on her for a moment. Scarlett was really breathtaking to him, he felt that way ever since he met her in that old hallway at that crappy apartment building. She's such a strong-willed woman and she doesn't go down without a fight and that made him love her even more. Scarlett looks back to Frank and catches his eyes. Frank smiles and reaches out his free hand to her and she smiles and takes it. He squeezes her hand she squeezes back. At this moment in time, she felt like nothing could hurt them.

Scarlett checks the time and sighs, looking at Jack. "Jack, baby," Jack looks up from the book to his mom. "It's time to hit the hay, kiddo." Jack sighs and leans back in his chair with a pout. "But I've missed, Frank." Scarlett frowns and looks to Frank who looks away from her to Jack. Frank takes his arm off the back of Jack's chair and places his hand on Jack's head. "I'll be here in the morning."

"Will you be here when I get home?" Scarlett watched a Frank struggled to answer that. "I'm not sure, buddy but if I'm not, I will call you." 

"Promise?" Jack asks, leaning his head back to look up at Frank. Frank lets go of Scarlett's hand and offers his pinky. "I promise." Frank nods and Jack smiles, connecting pinkys. "Now come on," Frank stands from his seat, ruffling Jacks hair. "Give your momma a kiss and I'll tuck ya in, yeah?" Jack gets up and walks around to Scarlett and she smiles at him. She wraps her arms around him and smothers his face with kisses, making his giggle. Jack gives Scarlett a kiss and she smiles. "Goodnight, baby."

"Goodnight, momma. I love you." Scarlett smiles and rubs his cheek. "I love you too." Jack walks away from her and Frank pulls Jack into his side and they walk down the hall to Jack's room. Scarlett sighs contently and looks across the table to see Jack's book still laying there. Scarlett stands and grabs the book. She was sure Frank was gonna need this because she had to read it every night. 

 "Frankie?" Jack asked looking up at Frank who was making sure Jack was all tucked in. "Yeah, bud?" Frank grunted, looking at him. "Can you read me a story?" Frank paused, then looked to the long book shelve he had. "Yeah, sure. What kinds?" Frank went to walk to the bookshelf but Jack grabbed his hand, stopping him. "Can you make one up for me?" Frank twisted his lips, think. "Sure," He nods, kneeling down beside his bed. "Once upon a time, there was a soldier," Jack watches Frank as he talks. "The soldier was very sad and angry-"