episode 3 | taking chances

y/n

"you know guys find it attractive when a girl asks them out first. taking initiative, being confident. they love that." my best friend finishes whatever's in her red solo cup, before turning around for a refill. "so, go do it."

"yeah, i'm not doing that."

one time i liked this boy in high school, his name was august and he was extremely handsome. being young, i waltzed over to him and straight out asked him if he would date me. he said no, told me that i was weird and sucked ass, and i never looked back on chatting up guys again.

"if you're still thinking about what happened years ago y/n, you need to seriously let it go. all it's gonna do is stop you from pursuing the potential man of your dreams."

i scoff and realising she's chatting nothing but nonsense, but then again she is right. i've been holding back because of something that happened when i was sixteen. it's kind of pathetic, no it is pathetic.

i begin to walk on over to him, forcing myself to be confident and be aware of my surroundings. i didn't want to walk into anyone or bump into anything to make myself look stupid, but i end up being pushed into him.

"damn, can you watch where you're going?" his drink drops from his hands and the contents spill out on the floor, an angry look crossing his face.

my cheeks blush when i realise who it is. odell beckham jr looks down on me, a slight vein popping out of his forehead, but his expression instantly fades when he takes me in.

my hair was bone straight from straightening it earlier, and my best friend picked out one of her dresses which was this tight black piece that contoured my body. a pair of black converse were on my feet, a leather jacket hung around my shoulders and silver accessories made my outfit pop.

i grab napkins from the table beside me and bent down to dab at the floor. odell does the same and we both stand up to dispose of them.

"i'm sorry." i look away from him, the embarrassment creeping up on me.

"na, you good. you're y/n right?"

i nod my head, lost for words as he purses his lips and crosses his arms over his broad chest. "i'm odell, how come i've never seen you around lsu before?"

"you're always at practice and i'm always cooped up in classrooms for the most of my days. so, i guess we don't really have the time to see each other." i shrug like it didn't bother me, but it did. i've had a crush on this guy since i was a freshman. currently a junior.

the only time i do see odell is at lunch or at the end of the day, so i never really have the time to speak to him alone. even if i wanted too, i couldn't. i was strongly blessed with the trait of shyness.

"well, instead of trying to spot each other throughout the day, why don't you take my number down?" he takes his phone out from his jean pocket, and offers it for me to take.

i bite my lip in order for me to stop myself from smiling, and type my number into his contacts, labelling my name and passing his phone back to him.

"i hate to leave a girl as fine as you here, but i gotta head back to my dorm. i got practice early in the morning and it's already two."

"okay. make sure you message me though."

"why wouldn't i?"

his arms open out for a hug, and i waste no time in walking into them. the scent of his cologne is strong and my arms wrap around his torso, i feel his hands slightly graze my butt, chuckling into his chest as i pull away from him.

"see you around." his lips find their way to my cheek, kissing it tenderly before leaving me to stand in the crowded room with a million dancing bodies.

a month later.

"so, what's going on with you and odell? i mean, you two are the couple everyone's been talking about." my best friend pops her last peach slice into her mouth.

i don't tell her we've already hooked up and received the most amazing aftercare. he was gentle and kind, seeing as it was my first time and then we ate some chinese food and fell asleep together in his dorm.

i cock my head to one side. "that's new. we're not even official yet. and there's nothing 'going on'." i use air quotes with my hands.

odell and i weren't anything serious, yet. we've both agreed to take things slow since our majors required a lot of commitment. if we were to have a relationship in the mix, it would of made things more complicated than they were and i really want things to work out between us.

"you two have been hanging out nonstop, surely people are gonna think something's going down between the two of you."

i take a sip of my water and then screw the lid back on. "i swear, in this generation you can't hang around with the opposite sex without anyone thinking you're not a thing."

a hand is placed on my shoulder, and i look up to see odell standing tall from behind me. "can we talk?"

i nod my head slowly, looking back at my best friend to tell her that i was leaving, but brad was already by her side and the continuous flirting between them began, so odell and i left them to it.

we made our way out of the cafeteria and to the hallway located next to it, where it was decorated with endless amounts of lockers.

"i want you to know something." he stands in front of me, looking around us before reaching out for both my hands. our fingers interlock, his big thumbs running over the veins on top of my hand.

i hear him sigh deeply and the anticipation in the air thickens. my breath obstructs in my throat, already knowing that it's highly noticeable because of the slight smirk that was evident on his face.

"it's alright. relax, y/n. it's not anything bad."

his hand reaches up to skim the stray hairs out of my face, his fingertips grazing against my cheek as he gathers the hairs behind my ear.

"i want us to be official."

ew, idk what this is.