Chapter- 12

Dyson is so… so… so infuriating! Who is he to judge when I work and who I talk to? I cannot stand that kid! After I watched him leave the music store, I stomped out in the opposite direction towards anything else. I just didn’t want to see Dyson. The boy is so confusing!

I’ve read the stories about people getting stuck in stores or schools during storms or blizzards and tornados. It’s always conveniently a boy and a girl, the same age and then they magically fall in love before they get freed. I laughed to myself at the thought of Dyson falling in love. With none other than me. Yeah, like that was ever going to happen. This isn’t fairytale land, home of the happy endings. No. This is North Winchester, Maine. Home of the heartbreakers and snowstorms. Nobody falls in love here. It just doesn’t happen.

Manipulative, immature, jerk!

For the rest of the day, I found it easy to avoid Dyson by spending most of my time in the book store. I read half of some random teenager book and did a puzzle. Yes, a puzzle. A hard puzzle too. That just shows you how bored I was. But when darkness fell I made my way back to the Macy’s and fumbled towards the beds.

“You’ve been avoiding me.” Dyson said from his bed.

“Yeah, so?” I mumbled, laying down under the thick blankets of my comfy temporary bed after I took my pills.

“You’re such a baby, it was a joke.” He grunted.

“Okay.” I said shortly.

“Baby.” He teased.

I picked up a pillow and threw it to where I thought his head would be. “Shut up.”

He laughed. “Missed me.”

“Whatever.”

“Stubborn baby.” He mocked.

“Dyson.” I groaned, now getting insanely annoyed. “Just shut up.”

“Alright. Goodnight, baby.” He snorted.

“Goodnight, asshole.” I grunted, closing my eyes and drifting off into a dreamless sleep. Just like every night.

I woke up the next morning when the sun was shining in my face, but there was something else waking me up. It was the cold. I was absolutely freezing. I snapped my head up to yell at Dyson for taking my blankets when I realized I was still under all of my covers.

I sat up and realized that it was absolutely freezing inside of the room. I got out from under the blankets which was horrible idea because I was wearing shorts and a tank top and without the blankets, the air was icy and biting at every fiber of exposed skin. I slipped on some slippers and immediately made my way towards the winter clothing area of the store, noticing that Dyson wasn’t anywhere around. I pulled on a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie over my tank top with slippers on my feet. I put the hood up on the hoodie and pulled out my walky talkie.

“Dyson where are you?” I asked, trying to keep my teeth from chattering.

“The food court.” He responded quickly.

I rolled my eyes. Of course he’s in the food court. He always is.

I made my way towards the stairs, sliding across the smooth tile flooring with the slippers with a smile on my face. I trotted down the stairs and then into the food court where Dyson was sitting and eating something that looked like a donut. Once I got deeper into the food court, I was hit by a wall of warmth. Lovely, lovely warmth.

“Morning.” I mumbled, sitting in the chair across from him and putting my chin in my palm.

He looked up at me like I’d grown a second head and he stopped eating his donut.