[Chapter 1] Not Worthy to Be My Wife and Master

*notes are in bold // character internal dialogue are in italics

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to format the notes so you'll probably see some changes later. 

---------

It was an awful dungeon that assaulted the senses - overflowing with human excrement smelling of sweat, rust, and waste. All of it mixed together to create a rotten sour pungent smell. The constant screams of prisoners declaring their innocence and unwillingness to be there grated the ears like a cacophony of drums.

"Let me out!"

"I'm innocent, let me out of here!"

"What's with all the shouting!?" yelled the jailor. "Dinner is here." He violently banged the cell bars with an iron rod to emphasize his point. For a moment the prison quieted as everyone waited for their meal. They scrambled after the chunks of hard sour bread tossed haphazardly at them as though they were wolves feasting on plump sheep, their eyes bright and ruthless.

Xiao Wan thought it was a disgrace. She sat in a corner only looking at the scene for a moment before turning her head away in disgust. She was the eldest born daughter of her mother's first husband, cherished since she was a baby, spoiled beyond belief. Whatever she wanted she would get. It was shameful she was here at all.

The official performing the investigation was her good sister the Empress's third daughter Chu Muqing, so how could she not be exonerated soon? Just Wait. Once out she would personally deal with the grievances the Xiao House suffered.

Xiao Wan was full of confidence despite being in the damp dungeon and rooming with several mice. Wait. Are those Droppings? "Ahhh! Mouse! There's a mouse! Someone come!"

"What?! So noisy. What the hell's the problem? It's just a couple of mice." The jailer frowned, then spoke again after thinking it over. "You from the Xiao House?"

"Yes yes!" Xiao Wan replied quickly. Finally these miscreants recognized her status. "The Xiao family is innocent. Let me see Her Royal Majesty and His Royal Highness. Let me see the Third Imperial Princess!"

"Ha! Every prisoner here says they're innocent. If it's true, there wouldn't be anyone here. As for you, you're currently just like any other prisoner. Nuthin' special. Want to see Her Majesty and His Highness... tch! Dream on."

He rubbed his chin in thought before speaking again. "I heard there was a good looking guy running around this morning gifting the guards with money so they'd treat you well. Yeah, before that I heard he knelt in front of the Ministry of Justice pleading for the Third Imperial Princess to speak to Her Majesty and His Highness on your behalf. But for an official like you?" He sighed shaking his head before going on. "Considering how heavy your crime is... it won't do any good no matter how long he pleads or who he pleads to."

The summer days were really hot in late June. Xiao Wan became distressed and her heart turned sour at the thought of her wonderful husband kneeling all day in the hot sun. The ground would be scorching, surely burning that delicate skin of his. How could a pregnant man bear such a thing?

Xiao Wan couldn't help but remember their last meeting. She had torn the document out and handed it to him. She had also severed his ties with her and the Xiao House, hoping he wouldn't be dragged into the whole affair.

About a month and a half ago Imperial Prince Qi led 200,000 troops to southern Xinjiang. Victory was assured as it was supposed to be an easy campaign. Instead the battles were fierce and the army lost ground - in just one month they lost three cities. The most devastating news was the death of Imperial Prince Qi and the subsequent attack on Eastern Wei. It was clearly coordinated and executed in one fell swoop. The enemy's momentum was so strong that the entirety of Eastern Wei fell into a panic.