Catenation (3.3)

Lost Diamond

Colds are a martyrdom for Samantha Bane. In the previous appointment, the doctor told her parents that she should rest in bed for at least five days. He was oblivious to a big minutia; this recommendation would mean the redheaded girl's doom. Not many people deserve the dishonor of been regarded as more radical than any extremist from a religion, but her parents are definitely on that list. These two figures of authority quickly turned a recommendation into an unbreakable law, which, in Sam's world, isn't uncommon but rather the opposite.

She was born in Lost Diamond fifteen years ago at late noon, aspired by the married couple and her older brother, who was a child of eight back then. Later on, her two younger siblings were incorporated to the kin as well, relatives that in the present play the role of accomplices in enduring the house's strict rules. Samantha is not an adolescent that takes part in episodes of rebellion but arranging deals with Caleb and Jonah (her little brothers) have brought her gains in recurrent instances.

Convincing Jonah of putting on a wig and pretending to be Sam sleeping in her bedroom is a story she won't get bored of recounting. Up to this day she still can't believe how her father didn't suspect a thing. She feared a rebuke the next day that, gladly for them, never came. It was a desperate measure, since her boyfriend Michael was celebrating his birthday and her parents hadn't granted consent to go out.

Today, for Sam's relief, is the last day of quarantine and Mike has scheduled a date with her. Staying indoors isn't that much of a punishment for Samantha. As a passionate reader and a fan of tea, consuming hours in front of a book with the sunset rays showering her chamber and the thin trail of vapor meandering skywards is her description of bliss. But Michael's company eclipses the joy of whatever hobby she does. It is a budding romance, quaint perhaps. A reverie that she is wholly aware of and privately craved after her compilation of sentimental novels.

Michael is not the ideal man, but he certainly resembles those literary characters that seduce her throughout the pages and stir sheer emotion within her chest. He may not write superb poems nor impart a letter capable of enrapturing a lector's soul. What Michael Stark can and does, is to listen, care, love and support her, qualities that, in Samantha's opinion, are becoming less abundant in society as time passes.

Not long ago she used to toy with men that flirted with her, but now Sam appreciates more real feelings. Her raven eyes bounce off her study annotations to land blindly at the ceiling, the lass wondering where Michael will drive her. The phone's ringtone sweeps away her musing. It is Lucia, a brunette-skinned adolescent of her same age and one of her intimate if not the most intimate friend she has.

"You've got to tell me everything. You hear me? Everything. I don't want any detail skipped" Samantha urges after snatching the mobile from her bureau and pressing it on her oval visage. She spots the numbers on the clock, Michael will be dropping anchor anon.

"Don't get too excited. It was a disaster." By Lucy's jaded volume, Samantha can deduce she's in a sulky mood. The Chilean girl has been aiming to become a recognized singer since childhood. Despite her fertile talent, luck doesn't appear to have struck her yet.

"You weren't admitted!?" Sam jumps, her chubby legs skimming as she cavorts to her wardrobe in search for an outfit that will bedazzle her couple. Erudition with respect to the musical industry is missing, but the notion conveyed is that succeeding there is as guaranteed as rolling a dice. "Why?"