Death

THE CAYMANN ALWAYS REMEMBERS.

The night was dark and cold. Silence was the only thing to be heard for miles. A lone figure in an all back outfit crossed the road and slowly approached the red brick house on the other side. This part of the town was the most dangerous in Compton, an example of what you’d term a ghetto. Perfect for men like him, but not safe for the rest of the population.

All the lights were out. He took care of that minutes ago, just as he had this moment pre-planned in head long before now. He knew that at this time of the night the man in the house would be out with his mistress, the woman in the house would have gone for the night shift of the last of the three jobs she works, and two little children would be left inside the house with a clumsy nanny who almost never remembers to lock the doors.

Today was one of the many days the door was left unlocked. That would save him lot of trouble and make his business there easier.

He walked briskly over the concrete and was at the door in no time. He opened the door and quietly stepped inside. He had to be careful not to miss a step or upset anything because the floor boards were old and creaked loudly. Luckily, he knew where to put his foot. It wasn’t his first time inside the house.

He stopped for a minute to get his eyes accustomed to the darkness and when he was able to make out the objects in front of him, he put out his arms to touch the walls and tried to navigate his way through the darkness. As he walked, he could hear the whispers. He grinned to himself. He was close and they were frightened all right, just as he liked it.

He finally made it to the sitting room where all three were huddled together sobbing on the largest sofa, at the end of the room opposite where he stood. He pressed a button on the device in his hand and the lights came flooding in again.

He frowned. Something was not right. Only the girl and the nanny where there. Where was the boy? Goddammit! That little piece of shit!

He looked at the sobbing pair and smiled.

“Don’t worry little one, this won’t hurt a bit.”

He took out the gun and as he slowly approached the two, their eyes widened with realisation. The crying got louder and the nanny fell on her knees, her face glistening with tears and sweat.

“No, no, no, please sir, I beg you! Don’t hurt us please. Take whatever you - ”

BOOM!

The bullet left the cylinder and found permanent residence in her skull and in the next second she was limp on the floor, the noise shaking the whole house. The little girl screamed as her nanny’s blood splashed on her face and soaked her clothes. The next second it was her on the floor. He didn’t like noisy children.

As he turned to leave he heard running footsteps and the door was closed shut. Shit! Shit! Shit! He got out!

He wasted no time in giving chase but by the time he was outside, there was no little boy in sight. He turned and ran away before he could be spotted.

In the news the next day, it was going to be said that no one saw the killer.

But someone did.

_____

Shaun Caymann wasn’t always a killer.

But the image of his sister lying there helpless, in a pool of her own blood never left his mind. Worse still was the memory of him running away scared to the bones and hoping the killer never caught up with him. He made a vow to himself never to feel so helpless in his life again. And that was long ago. Water under the bridge right? No.

He also vowed to kill a total of hundred people to avenge his sister. And even now as he crept towards the house of his hundredth victim, his sister’s bloodied body was all he could think of.

This last kill was going to be the easiest and most painful. This was the kill that would bring him the long needed closure.

Five minutes later, he walked out through the front door feeling accomplished.

He raised his face to the sky and took a breath of fresh cold air. And then he shot himself.

As his body dropped to the floor, he smiled his last.

His sister’s killer was dead, and so was he.

~~~
Hey sweet'uns. I'm really sorry I couldn't complete my other book "Mending The Veil". I got to school and somehow I misplaced the drafts.
But right now, I'm back to Wattpad and I've been dabbling in the waters of flash fiction. I really hope you like this one. Please don't forget to vote and follow me❤