Part 10

Zuko's POV:

As the sun began to rise, their boat made its way onto shore. The ice covered plains appeared abandoned. Toph jumped onto land, kneeling to kiss the ground , "Land, sweet land!"

Usually Zuko would laugh along, but there was too much on his mind. There had been no sign of Hakoda, and the man knew Toph was bothered by this as well. Zuko stood still for a few moments , eyes focused off into the distance. Toph placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, managing out, "We can't stay out here in the open for much longer..."

"I know... Do you trust me?"

"W-What?"

Before the girl could even answer, Zuko raised his right arm, a bolt of electricity racing out from his hand up into the sky. His heart was racing, he knew that would risk their safety. However, he had to hold onto the hope of Hakoda finding them.

A soft thud was soon heard behind them, causing Toph to take a defensive stance. Zuko turned , shocked to see Aang standing before them, staff in hand. His signature goofy smile stained his face, "A little birdie told me you might need some help!"

Both Zuko and Toph were confused but also relieved to see a friendly face. Still on edge, Zuko tried to pester him for information, "Who told you we were here? Who else knows?"

"Hakoda reached out to me, I've been trying to find you ever since the first attack but you've been moving around so much. He can't risk losing his only way in to see Katara, but I happen to be meeting with Sokka and a few other soldiers today..."

"So that's our way in, huh?"

"I can get you two in, but I have to warn you I don't know exactly where Katara is... But once in I'll be able to distract them as long as I can."

Zuko could only nod in agreement , hoping he would be able to find here before it was too late. Aang pulled two air nomadic cloaks from his satchel, handing them over.

"Keep your heads down, it's easy for them to believe you two are monks and unable to speak to them. Once we're inside you both fall behind. Toph, you should be able to sense her out. Do what you have to, but the more attention you draw to yourselves the less time you'll have to get in and out. We'll all meet back here if everything goes as planned..."

"Thank you, Aang..."

Aang patted his arm with a smile, "You can do this."

Without another word the three of them set off, trudging through the snow. If not for smoke in the distance it would be impossible to navigate. They walked in silence , all apprehensive about what would come from this. Not only was Zuko risking his own life, but he was now risking the lives of his friends. He hoped he would be able to make it up to all of them some day soon.

Soon they approached the entrance terminal to what appeared to be a small wooden cabin. Military vehicles lined the walkway, soldiers quickly making their way to greet them. Zuko and Toph did as told, eyes locked onto the ground. Surprisingly enough, Sokka led the small group of soldiers , a smile as he spotted Aang.

Zuko clenched his fists, it took every ounce of self will he had to hold back his anger. He wanted nothing more than to ambush them all and make them suffer for what they have started. Luckily, he had enough common sense to know that would only make things worse.

After a few moments of introductions, the three were escorted into the building. Once inside they were led down a long stairwell, now realizing this was the underground bunker Katara had been referring to. Aang, Sokka, and the other soldiers disappeared in front of them. Zuko and Toph held back.

"How big is this place, Toph?"

"It's huge..."

She paused , kneeling onto the ground placing one hand flat on the concrete flooring.

"Not only is it huge... but there's a lot of people in here..."

The dark haired man gulped. He knew finding her would be a long shot, but deep down he hoped life would cut him some slack for once.

"Where are you..."

A look of defeat on his face, Toph sighed and stood from her crouching position.

"Don't give up so easily, Sparky. I've got a plan..."

She grabbed onto his arm tightly, the two racing down flights of stairs, heading to the basement level of the bunker.

This level was blocked off by multiple guards. Zuko pulled Toph back, hiding around the corner hoping not to be seen. Toph squeezes his arm tightly as a warning. She knelt onto the ground, both hands placed flat against the floor. Suddenly the walls of the bunker began shaking uncontrollably. Still hiding around the corner, the guards ran past them up the stairs, most likely thinking an attack was happening.

A little shaken by fear Zuko laughed out , "Nice plan..."

"It worked, didn't it? I'm just happy the place didn't collapse in on us!"

With a smirk, Zuko blasted down the padded door rushing into the room. Before them was a long hall way, cells on both sides. His heart nearly dropped from his chest as a voice could be heard all the way at the end of the hall, "I told you not to come.."

Katara's POV:

Days of isolation passed, it was impossible to remember what day it was. She had completely convinced herself that was her new home. She never expected some kind of rescue, she only wanted her own nation to trust her enough to let her go. Each day she spent in that cell only fueled her anger. Having spent most of her days in bed, she was abruptly woken by the strong vibrations. Earthquakes weren't common but attacks were. Seeing the guards flee she cried out. How could they leave her their to die? Was she really that much of a criminal? Nervous and frantic she peered out of her cell through the bars, eyes lighting up as she saw that familiar flame penetrate the door.

Katara was instantly greeted by Zuko and Toph, the smile couldn't be erased from her face.

"Katara... Lets get you out of there."

Zuko reached out, grabbing her hand tightly. She released from his grasp slowly, taking a step back. Toph bended the bars wide open, Katara sprinted out of the cell, thrilled to even have escaped this far. She had an entirely new perspective of life and freedom and planned to use it all to her advantage. Zuko held onto her tightly, the three sprinting down the hall heading for the stairway. Before making it out of the basement, Sokka stood at the doorway, stopping them in their path.

"You're not taking her anywhere! And you're sure as hell not going anywhere either..."

Katara released herself from Zuko's grip, lashing out on her brother , "Sokka, get out of the way now ... Don't make me hurt you."

Taking her threat as a bluff, he raised his sword towards them, "I'm taking you all prisoner now."

Tears rolling down her cheeks, Katara raised her hand to him, stopping him in his tracks. His body grew weak as he lost all control. Collapsing onto the ground he cried out in pain. Katara quickly released her grip, letting his blood circulate once again. Sokka still struggling on the ground, she could only whisper I'm sorry you made me do that, before racing past him.