Valentines - Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I met Chace walking towards class and after last night felt totally self-conscious. We had a moment and now I didn’t know where to look. Chace had no such issue, he nudged me with his shoulder and said, “Ready to see if any guys get in trouble today?”

“Oh God, what text did Paul set up? And the booth isn’t open until next week.”

Chace grinned and that pretty much told me all I needed to know. I half felt bad for the people that were going to get a surprise when they saw their photo being printed. But then they were all sickeningly loved up so I didn’t feel too awful.

We were the last ones in the classroom – order was restored.

“What’s on the agenda for today’s screw-up V day?” I asked, looking between all my partners in crime.

“This isn’t so much Valentine’s Day, apart from red,” Dean said, “but I was thinking of putting red dye in the cisterns so when people flush the toilet the water comes out red.

The guys immediately congratulated him, calling him a ‘genius’ and ‘legend’ while me, Chelsea and Amber looked at them in disgust.

“What’s wrong with you?” Chelsea said.

It was gross but it would also be funny.

“Do it,” I said. “But there is no way I’m touching a toilet.”

Amber rolled her eyes. “I’ll do the girls toilets then. You can be lookout.”

Dean reached into his bag and pulled out a carrier bag full of red food colouring bottles. Okay, yeah, this was going to be fun.

Because I was a crap friend and absolutely not ever going to touch a toilet, I waited by the door while Amber and Chelsea poured a whole bottle of red colouring in the cisterns. Paul was lookout for the boys and stood opposite me in the hallway while we made sure our friends weren’t caught. Chase, Isaac and Shane were finished first and came out of the guy’s bathroom laughing and high fiving each other. Amber and Chelsea looked just as pleased with themselves when they’d finished, but they weren’t so sad about it.

It was the end of the day for us, we had a free period but instead of going home early we waited, sitting on the floor near the vending machines a little way down and pretended to go through some work.

When the bell rang for last period I felt like high fiving my friends like twat, too. Keeping a straight face was hard and when three girls walked into the bathroom I practically squealed. Chace bumped my shoulder and shook his head. “You’re crap at playing it casual,” he said. 

Did he mean the prank or me totally pretending that I wasn’t obsessed – with a capital O – with him? Two minutes. That was how long it took before the first scream. The second followed straight after.

The boys jumped up, dragging us with them. There was no way we’d be able to stop laughing by the time they came running out. Our laugher rang down the corridor as we legged it towards the exit.

“Shit, that was epic,” Shane said, shoving the heavy door open.

I wish I’d stayed in the bathroom so I could’ve seen the reactions. You expected green or blue toilet cleaner but you never expected it to flush” Isaac said. “I can’t wait until the booth.”

I loved my friends. I just hope I loved them enough to not blame them when we all get kicked out of college.

“What’re you doing tonight?” Chace asked as we made our way quite quickly out of the front gates.