seventeen

Matt's POV:
prom is in a week and i still haven't figured out how i'm going to ask kelsey to go with me. we aren't dating, yet the feelings are so clearly there. i want to ask her to prom in a special way, but i also don't want it to be too cheesy.

"joba help me please" i begged, tugging against his arm.

"matt that's your girl, you have to do it on your own" joba replied.

"but joba-"

"matt. trust me. do it on your own. do what feels right" he said, cutting me off. he waved goodbye and hopped into his car, driving off, leaving me oblivious with what to do.

"hey ciarán" i said, putting my phone against my ear as he picked up.

"hey what's up" he asked.

"nothing much, so uhh do you want to help me ask kelsey to prom?" i said in hopes of ciarán saying yes.

"sorry matt i'm not into that kind of stuff, maybe joba can help you" he said, ending the call.

great.

———

hours past and i still had nothing. nothing special, nothing simple, nothing at all. i almost gave up, but that's when it hit me.

immediately, i got dressed, bolted to my car, and headed to the store to buy a few necessities for the night i had ahead of me. i drove off to a location i planned on taking kelsey, and set things up before driving all the way back to kelsey's house.

i knocked on her door, hoping she'd answer.

"oh hey matt, what're you doing here?" she asked, tucking her hair behind her ear. her eyes were shining in the sunset, making her look as beautiful as ever.

"come with me" i smiled, gently grabbing her hand, guiding her outside of her house and into my car.

we drove for about 20 minutes before we reached our destination. it was the lookout i wanted to take kelsey to the night of the carnival but couldn't due to misunderstandings. it was where i was willing to finally be vulnerable to someone, to finally express my emotions, thoughts, past and everything that made me, me.

"a picnic? you're too sweet" she smiled, placing her hand into mine as we left the car. she kissed me on the cheek, making my face turn bright pink.

"aw, matt you're blushing!" she said, squashing my cheeks.

"you're adorable" i said as i looked her in the eyes, followed by a kiss. "hungry?" i asked, opening up the picnic basket.

kelsey nodded her head, and took out a box of strawberries which she smacked on majority of the time. as it had started to get darker, the stars became more visible.

"i wanted to take you here after we went to the carnival but-" kelsey cut me off.

"forget about the bad stuff that happened that day. i only want to remember all the good you've brought me matt" she said, placing her hand over mine. i nodded my head.

"well... basically i got you that star necklace because i used to go here all the time when i was younger and i could never pick a favourite star. to me they were all beautiful, but none ever stood out. when i met you kelsey, you immediately shined brighter than any of these. you were the star i've been waiting for" i said, glancing over at her.

she looked at me then placed her head on my shoulder.

"matt" she said with a long pause, directing her eyes to my face. "i love you" she continued.

my heart dropped. love ? she loves me ? the kelsey reid is in love with me, matt champion ? how did i get so lucky.

"i love you too kelsey" i said, directing my eyes to hers. a comforting silence in the air with both our faces happier than ever was expressed. we shared another kiss, but this time more passionately. the sparks were stronger than ever. i have been waiting for this girl my entire life.

"kelsey. will you go to prom with me?" i asked her as our lips separated. she nodded her head, "of course i would".

"one more thing" i asked, feeling my hand begin to shake.

"yes?" she said curiously.

"the question i wanted to ask you the other day" i said.

"oh yes! what was it?" she smiled. even her smile alone shined brighter than the stars in the sky.

"i was wondering if you'd well... be my girlfriend ?" my voice shook.

"matt champion, i would love to be your girlfriend" kelsey smiled, jumping onto me. my back fell onto the ground as we were already seated on the grass, and her body laid on top of mine.

"i want to spend the rest of my life with you" she whispered into my ear, followed by a kiss on the cheek.

"i will marry you some day" i smiled, kissing her forehead.

we spent a few more hours gazing into the stars, learning more about each other and falling more and more in love. it was the most amazing night of my life, with the most amazing girl in my life.

———

a/n: SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG
FOR ME TO UPDATE AHH IVE
BEEN SUPER BUSY. hope y'all
liked this wholesome chapter !