Chapter 1

Music pounded through the speakers as Caleb's heart rate rose. The raving clubbers and increasing bassline mirrored his drug filled ecstasy. As usual, he had taken an array of drugs: MDMA, lines of cocaine, LSD and amphetamines. He loved the buzz as they entered his blood stream and the ensuing euphoria. It was no longer a phase, this was a lifestyle. The crazy parties, the clubs and his drugged hazes. He would wake the next morning with a hangover and a small amount of regret but it was nothing compared to the highs he felt. That first time, months ago, when he'd first been offered drugs seemed so long ago. It had seemed so innocent, just once his brain had told him, just to see what it was like. He'd never looked back. Of course he'd considered the thoughts of his family, his mother who'd done everything for him and his father who'd begged him not to turn out like some of the other black men before him, who did take all manner of drugs and get in trouble with the law but he figured that what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them. He loved them but wasn't ready to share the true extent of his life with them. Caleb wondered whether they'd forgive him.

He shook those thoughts away just as the song was closing and a new one started. His friend, Clarice, danced her way over to him, her cherry red hair flying around him. It contrasted prettily against her dark brown skin. She smiled widely and handed him a drink "Here you go babe, enjoy yourself" He thanked her and drank it, undeniably enjoying the burn as it slid down his throat and entered his bloodstream. This was the ultimate high he thought as he invited her to dance, laughing the night away. The atmosphere of the London club booming as the raging evening came to a close. Last orders were called and he knew the high would be ending soon, so he grabbed his jacket and went outside for a breather, the cold air almost comforting his mind as he mulled everything over. He did this on every night out, just watched the world go by as the epic times waned. Gathering his thoughts together before he was forced back into reality. It was a privilege to have this time to himself, to reflect as his breathing and heart slowed, levelling itself out. With his thoughts at ease he climbed into a taxi and headed home, barely mumbling a goodbye to Clarice and the others. They didn't mind, they expected it by now.

He allowed his mind to relax as he slept, waking up to an unbelievable headache and some fatigue and nausea. He was sweating slightly so he pressed a cool cloth to his forehead and grabbed a drink of water, heading back to bed. However he wouldn't be off the hook so easily as his mother and father entered his room both wearing looks of displeasure and disappointment. "You've been out partying again haven't you?" His mother accused, pointing a finger at her son lying in bed, a hand to his head. "This is getting out of control, most nights you're partying. Drinking too much and doing God knows what else. Listen here young man and listen well, I won't stand for this anymore. I'm not having my only child turn out like this" she said gesturing to him.

"Like what?" He asked irritated now

"Like some no good drug addict"

"You never said that I was on drugs, where did you get that from?"

"Most young partiers do"

"Dad, help me out here"

"I'm sorry son but I'm with your mother. You have been going to too many parties and while you're a young man and always behave well here, we're worried about you. We can't tell you what to do but we can advise you. We put a lot of work into giving you a good life here after coming from Ghana, please don't waste it. Look, your mom's friend Denise has a job free in her cafe and as that she would be happy to let you work there. You'd get paid but it might steer you in the right direction. Give it some thought alright son? We love you, remember that"

Caleb sighed "Alright, I'll think about it. I love you too."

"That's more like it Caleb."

"Do you want any breakfast?" His mom offered. He nodded. "Bacon and eggs alright?"

"Yeah, thanks mum"

He ate slowly, thoughtfully considering what they'd said. Perhaps he had been partying a bit too much and they hadn't told him to stop partying all together so he could still do it. He could do with a job as well so the cafe would be perfect and he heard that Denise had a daughter, who he'd met as a child but he couldn't remember her so maybe they could be friends. He'd found some positives so he went to tell his parents the news.

"I'll do it. I'll work for Denise"

His parents smiled happily "That's great news son" His dad commented

"That's my boy" His mother beamed.

Authors Note: Hey guys, thanks for reading the opening chapter of This Woman's Work. I hope you enjoyed it. Special thank you to _empvess for all of her help. Without her this first chapter wouldn't have been possible. Thanks again. Bye for now.