Chapter 1

it was 9:30 am damnit, I'm gonna miss my job interview. I hopped out of my cab, and threw a 20 at him. Although I think while I was rushing to find my designated destination the driver yelled,

" HEY GET BACK HERE YOU STILL OWE ME 10 DOLLARS."

But it could just be my ears, so I shrugged it off. I ran as fast as I could. My watch saying it was exactly 9:43. I mean, not to brag but I ran track and did make it to nationals.  The interview guidelines said to be there at least 15 minutes before the interview actually starts.

Finally, I made it, the clock at 9:45 am, just in time. I saw the nice oak doors, that looked as if they were ripped straight out of the forest, and Mother Nature herself formed them into two doors. I pushed open the doors, which revealed several tables and plants that decorated the whole room from top to bottom. The smell of coffee, and freshly baked pastries. Hit my face. LED lights lit up the room, and bookshelves were in almost every corner. It gave me nostalgia, it was like one of those distant memories, that you can never let go because they give you a certain warmth, and make you remember how good life used to be.

"Can I help you?" a certain perky voice says, startling me waking me from my trance.

The woman seemed to be 5 feet tall 6 inches shorter than me, she had dirty blonde hair that was placed up into a ponytail with loose strings hanging down, which gave her a more laid back persona. She had these circular glasses that made her look as if she was straight out of Harry Potter.

"uhm..yes." I said, shaking my head of all thoughts.

"What'cha need hun?" she says, making me slightly cringe.

"I'm actually here for an interview." I said smiling at her.

"Ah, Sh-An-NOn Gray" she said in a British accent that I didn't seem to pickup the first time she spoke to me, holding a clipboard in her hand.

"Yup, that's me, Shannon Gray ." I rocked back and forth.

"I'm Spencer." She says shaking my hand.

"Alright, so it seems you made it on time so, follow me." she said walking away.

Obviously I followed her, for some odd reason I didn't feel awkward. In fact I felt really relaxed.

She sat me down at a desk in one of the back rooms of the Cafe. It's not until an unsettling feeling rests upon me, that I then realize that she was staring at me so intensively. I clear my throat, and she blinks rapidly. As if I woke her up out of a deep trance.

"So, why do you want to work at this cafe?"

"I think I could really help contribute to this community, I can clean, I know how to make a mean PB & J, and I'd like to say I'm one of the most down to earth people in town." I say, and she's bursts out laughing.

" We need more people like you, i feel like-" she's interrupted by a knock on the door. Someone then pokes their heads through the door.

"Hello?" A soft soothing yet gruff voice says.
The man soon steps through the door on full display for my wandering eyes. He shoots a glance at me, his eyes were bright green, it was like a forest that I'd like to get lost in. His mouth forms a slight smirk and he says, " is this the one?" Pointing at me.

" I think she is."  Spencer says.

"Shannon, I think this interview is over." She says standing.

"W-wait, what did I do wrong? You didn't even finish asking me questions-"  i stumbled over my words.

"Shannon calm down, you got the job." She laughs.

" NO WAY! You're joking with me."

"Nope, you start tomorrow be here by 10 am."  I literally run and hug the life out of her, the guy that I forgot was there started chuckling.

___________________________

I had to walk home, because I couldn't catch a ride. I can't call an Uber or lyft because my phone died nor can I call my friends. So this is great just great. Stuck walking the dark streets of Brooklyn New York. A few of the street lights twitched on and off. It was so quiet, all could hear were cars passing here and there.  I pass this dark alley way that had like one light lit. Something told me to run, but I didn't.

Dumbass.

"Stop, please I'm sorry I'll get you your money." I hear a voice croak.

"Its too late old man, times up."

The man then starts to punch the older guy,  I couldn't catch their face. But I could hear the pain. Making me cringe. I wanted to run but i couldn't. My feet were glued to the ground. I had to do something.

"Hey assholes, shouldn't you be picking on someone your own age." I sarcastically remarked. The guys froze in shock. I smirk. I reach into my purse and
grab Lucy, my handy 9 inch pocket knife.

" Aw the little girl wants to play." They said smiling

I laugh hysterically, " Ya and I don't play nice." I said with a crooked smile.

" Alright then let's play."

"Game on." I whisper.

One of the men start charging at me, the closer he gets the more I realize how large the man actually is. He stands at about 6'5. He tries to punch me with his right. But I swerve under him and grab his arm taking him by surprise. I bend his arm at a certain angle long enough to hear a crack, making him scream out in agony.
                The other man charges at me ready to pounce. He starts to swing at me, I duck and fall to the ground slashing his legs with Lucy.

Yikes that's gonna leave a mark.

While they both try to come back for round two. I twist around and look at the old man and mouth 'run' he jumps up and stumbles away.

"So boys, how does it feel to get your ass beat by a girl." I laugh this is the most fun I've had in days.

Slashed legs come running up to me, with what looked like a Glock 19. I heard a click, and that's when I knew. Safety off.

I ran up to the guy and twisted his wrist making him release the gun.

I'm not gonna kill them, just gonna put a little fear in their hearts.

I pointed the gun at the both of them and shot broken arm in his side, and slashed legs in his calf and thigh. I then took the gun pocketed it and ran.