Chapter 1: MISTAKES

Darrien; 

I walked down the stairs and took in the scene before me; maids bowing down their heads in respect of their Lord. It really did feel surreal at times and I was slowly adjusting to the notion that I was now a Lord. Growing up, I knew the day would come eventually, I just hadn't braced for it to come so soon. It has been several years after my fathers death and my reign so far has been all but easy. I mean I was expecting it, seeing as how the whole kingdom saw me as the rogue prince who had betrayed his father, their beloved Lord, taken over the throne and was hellbent on defying the traditional norms of the kingdom. 

Lately, even the council who had endorsed my coronation had been giving me challenges. They had laid, in my opinion, an outrageous demand that I should get married and give them a queen as soon as possible so as to give the kingdom a heir and secure the throne. It was absurd to me because I knew damn well that I did not need any woman or child to help me secure the kingdom or the throne. I was quite confident I could manage on my own but the council was proving to be adamant, raising the topic every council meeting as if it were an important ruling issue. I was getting quite sick of it and it took every ounce of self control I had not to snap at them a every mention of the word marriage.

As I walked down the passage with the intention of going into my garden for a morning walk, a maid passed by me. I had never seen her before, so she was clearly new. I had very few maids in the palace and I knew each of them by name. They deserved that at least, acknowledgement of their names. But this particular maid had definitely been hired without my consent or approval. And she was dangerously pretty. And I couldn't help the attraction I felt towards her. I was a man after all. A fully functional one who had woken up with a boner too. I was never one to sleep with my staff, but this girl was an absolute temptation.

"What is your name?" I asked her and I almost laughed at how her cheeks turned a bright red. I was used to this reaction from women, but I absolutely never got tired of it

She looked pure and innocent but she was clearly not immune to my charms, after all, I was an attractive male, and the title and wealth was an added advantage. I wanted her in my bed.

"Anya," she replied with a shy smile and my seductive smirk dropped immediately. 

Was she trying to mock me? This had to be some type of sick joke being played on me. Who had put her up to this? I knew there was no way in hell Luke would have hired someone named Anya. He knew how I felt about that name. The memories it brought back. So how then had this devil gotten into my palace as my maid?

I reached for the small girl and grabbed her by the neck, undoubtedly chocking her.

"How dare you! How dare you remind me about her!" I bellowed as my grip on her throat tightened. I was going to kill her for evoking such a horrible memory for me. 

"Forgive me... I don't... I didn't mean to.." she was desperately trying to wiggle free. 

"Who put you up to this?" I could hear the shake in my voice and I knew then that she was going to die by my hand no matter what for reducing me to this mess.

"No... no one, my Lord. Please." she weakly forced out as tears began to roll down her cheeks. 

I looked at her squirming figure and her face slowly turning blue as she fought for her next breathe. and it dawned on me, this girl was innocent.

I released her abruptly, her body slumping on the ground as she refilled her lungs with much needed oxygen. Embarrassment washed over me as I watched the poor girl gasp and cough, rubbing on the red marks that were appearing around her neck. I had done that to her, over a mere name. How absolutely ridiculous. Did I have so little control over my emotions to the point where the mere mention of Anya's name turned me into an animal who was ready to kill innocents?