Harry Potter: Severus Snape

Severus Snape

Who: a spy for Dunbledore. He was a professor at Hogwarts and loved Lily Evans nearly all his life, which is why their Patronuses are the same.

Killed by: Nagini, Voldemort's orders

Where: the Shrieking Shack

When: during the Battle of Hogwarts, Sat, May 2, 1998

Last moments (copied directly from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The book was written by JK Rowling in the year 2007.):

'Wait.'

For one teetering second, Harry hesitated. Voldemort wanted him to do this, wanted him to come ... was he leading Ron and Hermione into a trap?

But then reality seemed to close around him, cruel and plain: the only way forward was to kill the snake, and the snake was where Voldemort was, and Voldemort was at the end of the tunnel ...

'Harry, we're coming, just get in there!' said Ron, pushing him forwards.

Harry wriggled into the earthy passage hidden in the tree's roots. It was a much tighter squeeze than it had been the last time they had entered it. The tunnel was low-ceilinged: they had to double uo to move through it four years previously, now there was nothing to it but crawl. Harry went first, his wand illuminated, expecting at any moment to meet barriers, but none came. They moved in silence, Harry's gaze fixed upon the swinging beam  of the wand held in his fist. 

At last, the tunnel began to slope upwards and Harry saw a silver of  light ahead. Hermione tugged at his ankle.

'The Cloak!' she whispered. "Put the Cloak on!'

he groped behind him and she forced the bundle of slippery cloth into his free hand. With difficulty he dragged it over himself, murmured, 'Nox,' extinguishing his wandlight, and continued on his hands and knee, as silently as possible, all his senses straining, expected every second to be discovered, to hear a cold clear voice, see a flash of green light.

And then he heard voices coming from the room directly ahead of them, only muffled by the fact that the opening at the end of the tunnel had been blocked up by what looked like an old crate. Hardly daring to breathe, Harry edged right up to the opening and peered through a tiny gap left between crate and wall.

The room beyond was dimly lit, but he could see Nagini, swirling like a serpent underwater, safe in her enchanted, starry sphere, which floated unsupported in mid-air. He could see the edge of the table, and  long-fingered, white hand toying with a wand. Then Snape spoke, and Harry's heart lurched: Snape was inches away from where he was crouched, hidden.

' ... My Lord, their resistance is crumbling -'

'- and it is doing so without your help,' said Voldemort, in his high, clear voice. 'Skilled wizard though you are, Severus, I do not think you will make much of a difference now. e are almost there ... almost.'

'Let me find the boy. Let me bring you Potter. I know I can find him, my Lord. Please.'

Snape strode past the gap, and Harry drew back a little, keeping his eyes fixed on Nagini, wondering whether there was any spell that could penetrate the protection surrounding her, but he could not think of anything. One failed attempt, and he would give away his position ...

Voldemort stood up. Harry could see him now, see the red eyes, the flattened, serpentine face, the pallor of him gleaming slightly in the semi-darkness. 

'I have a problem, Severus,' said Voldemort softly.

'My Lord?' said Snape.

'Voldemort raised the Elder Wand, holding it as delicately and precisely as a conductor's baton.