Chapter 5

The whole kingdom was called to assemble in the arena the next day. They were prepared for another challenger. A special announcement. A party, even, if they were lucky. They did not expect what they saw. A stage had been assembled in the middle, and the arena had been expanded twice fold to accommodate them all. Once they had all squished inside, they watched as they queen and her mate walked slowly and calmly onto the stage, examining them closely. Echo watched this with expectant eyes. He saw Oblivion walking calmly, but he also saw that his wings were folded carefully. Probably to hide the shaking, he thought. Oblivion must have heard it over the racket, because he looked at him and smiled. Ebon saw what he was looking at, smiling and waving. She spoke into a new piece of technology. A microphone, Echo thought, looking closely. We just developed that. Meant to enhance the acoustics and sound of the dragon speaking into it. He looked around at the stuffed arena. Not that the arena needs any better, with Oblivion's magic. Echo tilted his head, realization dawning. Oblivion had his eyes closed the entire time he was onstage. Ebon tapped the microphone lightly, and the arena turned to her simultaneously, quieting into silence. Suddenly, Oblivion opened his eyes, and the whole audience gasped as one. His eyes were golden. More golden than the palace walls, with that section of black in the middle. He smiled at the attention. Ebon tapped the microphone again, and the audience hushed. "Ahem," Ebon said. "Yes, thank you. So. Most of you heard our singing yesterday. I am a queen, after all. I need a break every once in a while. Anyway, Oblivion improved the sound, and the whole kingdom ended up hearing it. I even heard people singing with us. Who sang? Please raise a talon." At least three fourths of the audience reacted. Ebon grinned delightfully.

"Well, Oblivion suggested that we throw a concert for you, as I received positive reactions. My court completely agreed with us. So, now that we are all here, Oblivion." She twisted her head to look into her mate's golden eyes. He nodded and smiled, holding his talons out in front of him. A strange smoke began to emanate from them, as well as an odd thrumming. But Echo only got a glance before the lights suddenly went out. He could hear several shrieks. He stretched out a tentative claw, right in front of his face. But he couldn't see it. Or anything else.

"First of all," Ebon announced from the darkness. "My mate Oblivion will sing." Echo, with his sharp hearing, could pick up nothing else. Suddenly, he heard the booming sound of bass echo around the arena. The whole crowd went silent. Then, the sound of Oblivion's voice, deep and smooth, vibrated throughout.

When the lights go down

I see hell in you

But you don't care, no, you don't care, no

You'd just rather watch me fall

From a quarter mile, I can see you at the call

Think about it, or I won't tell you what I saw

When you break it up, you'll see who had it all

Who had it all!

The song climaxed for a moment, and Echo could see the entire audience bobbing up and down or mouthing the words.

You said you wanted to fall into oblivion

Forget about the world we're living in

Fall into oblivion

I'm going in!

The crowd screamed, and the song bass-boosted. Echo could finally see Oblivion, but that was the only thing he could see in the entire arena. He was glowing an eerie gold. His eyes seemed glazed over with gold. The song faded back to casual chords in piano.