One

"You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted lies, you may tread me in the very  dirt, but still, like dust, I'll rise"  Maya Angelou

Rowan slammed the history textbook shut and sighed. She traced the lightly raised letters on the cover that read American History. She stood and walked over to her closet and swept her clothes over to one side revealing a slim, wooden box along the wall. She placed the book inside and moved her clothing back to where it was previously. I wonder how much trouble I'd be in if anyone discovered that book.

It never ceased to amaze Rowan how people could just forget about America. This new country was only two years old, and the America she knew erased. It was as if everyone but her family had their data wiped overnight.

Rowan was 16 years old and the middle child. In the old country, her father Samuel was a history professor but had been reassigned to the local government library. Her mother, Rebekah continued to work as a nurse. Rowan's older sister Laurel was a senior in high school and had dreamed of attending college and majoring in Political Science. Right now her future was uncertain as colleges were currently only looking for students with particular skill sets. Her younger brother Alder was in middle school. Alder had the most natural time of them all transitioning into this new world. He would scold the rest of the family for making mention of America and tell them that the country was Icamera now. Their parents insisted that he only did that due to being so young; Rowan and Laurel had decided among themselves that he was merely a follower.

Rowan's bedroom door flew open, and she jumped a mile, startled.

"Sorry to scare you!" Laurel said, giggling. "You should've seen your face. What are you even doing in here?"

Rowan flushed. "N-nothing."

"One day you'll learn that you're a terrible liar. You were in here looking at the book weren't you?" Laurel inquired.

"Maybe I was talking to a boy," Rowan retorted.

Laurel rolled her eyes. "Right, do you like, even know any boys?"

"Of course I do," she responded.

"Mhmmm. Well, Mom and Dad said that we should get ready to go dinner."

It was Rowan's turn to roll her eyes. "So I'm assuming that means we're going somewhere fancy?"

Laurel nodded. "Yes, Tipton's."

Rowan turned back to her closet and grabbed a royal blue jersey knit maxi dress.

"No, you have nicer dresses, please don't wear that one," Laurel pleaded.

Rowan blew her breath. "Fine." She grabbed a red A-line dress that stopped just above the knee. "Is this better?"

"Perfect," Laurel answered. "Let's go do our makeup."

Rowan reluctantly followed her sister into their shared bathroom. Rowan stared at herself in the mirror. She had shoulder length brown hair which fell in loose waves and big brown eyes. She watched her sister in the mirror applying her eyeshadow. Her sister also had long, brown hair, but green eyes which sparkled with mischief. Rowan felt that there was something unique and exciting about every person in her family except for her. It was something that she wrestled with daily.

Once Rowan and Laurel were ready they headed downstairs to meet the rest of the family in the living room. They all filed out to the car. The car was once known as a Chevrolet Suburban but was now known as an Icamera Suburban. The government owned and operated all of the domestic car companies. Imports were no longer allowed. You had to trade it in for an Icamera branded vehicle. And if you had one of the domestic brands you had to replace all your emblems.

"Mom," Rowan began. "Why are we going to Tipton's on a school night?"

"Does there have to be a special reason?" Rebekah asked.

"Yes." Alder retorted.

"Fine, you caught us. Dad and I will tell you all about it after we get there," she responded.

Rebekah turned up the music and leaned over to Samuel. Rowan watched them whisper back and forth noting that their conversation seemed heated. She found it worrisome because she had never really known her parents to argue, at least in front of them.

Soon they pulled up to a quaint brick building on the corner of Main Street. Once they were seated, and orders placed Samuel turned to his children.

"So tonight we are here to celebrate an accomplishment. Yesterday we received a call from the Department of Education regarding Laurel's college application and acceptance."

Laurel let out a little squeal. "I got into a college?"

Samuel made a face. "Well no, not yet exactly. You have to complete some testing and pass to be accepted."

"What will I be tested on?" Laurel asked.

"They weren't clear about that. I'm sure we will get some more information once the process starts," Samuel answered.

"So I can still apply for Political Science?"

Samuel looked at her sadly. "No, sweetheart. You will be assigned."

Laurel's mouth dropped open, and she struggled to find words. "That's not fair. I don't think I will be accepting this offer."

Samuel swallowed hard and before he could answer Rebekah did. "Yes. You will be accepting it. And you will be doing so happily."

"But I-," Laurel started.

"My word is final," Rebekah answered with a tone that the family knew meant business.

Silence fell over the family. Rowan kept trying to catch Laurel's eye, but she would not look up from her plate. As they walked out of the restaurant, Rowan grabbed her hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

Once they arrived at home and Alder went to bed Samuel, and Rebekah asked for their daughters to come downstairs.

"Sorry for being so harsh with you earlier, Laurel," Rebekah said. "You just never know who is listening."

Laurel nodded in response.

"The fact of the matter is that you can't opt out of the college testing. If you get accepted by the Department of Education then it's mandatory," Rebekah explained.

"But what if I just don't do it?" Laurel asked.

Samuel sighed. "At best you're jailed for life. At worst you're killed."