Chapter Seventeen

That was the question, wasn't it? I mean, it was why I was here, supposedly. To train to be a hero. But would it actually work? And who was I to think that of all the people in the world, I would be best suited to make that kind of a difference? When I put it that way, it sounded incredibly egotistical.

"Only you can answer that question," Cain continued. "And I for one hope that the answer is, 'yes.' Because the world is in a constant struggle to keep up with the evil that's out there and it really needs more of you to fight on its behalf."

"Now, if you're new, you're probably wondering how you can possibly make a difference. And if you've been around for a while, bear with me, as I'm about to give another one of my long-winded, soapbox-heavy speeches—so, feel free to daydream or text through it," Cain said, jokingly.

I heard a few laughs from the crowd, but when I glanced around, I saw that nobody was taking Cain's advice. They were all at rapt attention, hanging on to his every word as if it were the first time they were hearing him speak. I, myself, had to admit I was enthralled, too.

"Well, the answer is: you all have the power to be heroes. Everyone does, really. The only thing you need to make your start, is the desire to do what's right," Cain said, starting to pace the space in front of us. "Then, you have to actually go out and do good. Trust me, this is much more difficult a task than it seems. It goes against everything we're taught. It goes against our most basic instincts. And it's hard work. Work that you often won't understand or want to do. But work that you must do. Because it will mean the difference between normal and extraordinary. Suffering and triumph. A harder today for a better tomorrow."

"So now, I ask you all again: Are you the heroes I've been looking for?" Cain asked, as he discontinued his pacing and stared straight at us. "Are you willing to do the hard thing to do the right thing? Because that's all it takes. A desire to do better. Be better. Save the world, one action at a time."

Before I even realized I was doing it, I was nodding. And I wasn't alone. Others were doing the same. McKayla. Garrick. Even Ris, with his perfectly chiseled scowl, was moving his head up and down.

Man, I am so drinking the Kool-aid.

But if it meant making the world a better place, was that really a bad thing?

Cain gave a little bow as if to close his speech, and the groups began to disband, instructors taking five to seven people at a time over to specific sections of the training center.

"Okay guys, you're with me today," a tall brunette said, waving for us to gather around her.

But I was still watching Cain, who was finishing up a conversation with another instructor. It was hard to tear myself away after a speech like that, and I could see the allure he held for McKayla. For an old guy, he was rather handsome. He appeared to be in shape, but had the body of someone who'd really lived. Not completely solid, but not like he'd let himself go in any way. And he'd aged gracefully. His full head of wavy dark hair revealed flecks of gray, but he still managed to appear young enough.

Garrick had been wrong about one thing. Cain definitely didn't look like my grandfather. More like the old-school type of movie stars you always heard about. Humphrey Bogart, Montgomery Clif, Robert Redford, George Clooney. Good-looking and sophisticated, but totally out of my age demographic.

There was a presence about him, though. I was still trying to pinpoint exactly what it was when Cain started to make his way across the blue mat...and right toward us.

Panicking, I forced myself to look at the ground so he wouldn't know that I'd just been staring at him. But then I noticed that my shoes were completely dirty and so not appropriate for the training they did here, and began to wonder whether the others had noticed I didn't belong here either and...

"Hello, Lauren," Cain said, appearing to my right, forcing me to abandon my impromptu staring contest with my feet. I looked up, seeing with relief that his eyes were trained on our instructor, who was smiling back like his presence was a regular occurrence. And maybe it was, but I didn't know, because I was—

"New?" Cain asked, turning to me.

"Wha—huh?" I asked, looking around to see if he was really talking to me.

He smiled easily and repeated himself. "Are you new to the program?"

"Uh, yeah," I said. "I mean, I think so. This is my first time here, anyway. I really want to be a—well, I liked what you said earlier. I've never done any of this before, so I can't promise I'll be...but I'd like to try. That is, unless you want me to go, in which case, I can. Right now, actually—"

"She's new," McKayla cut in, effectively shutting me up.

Thank God for that girl's inability to let anyone else finish a sentence.

"That's great," Cain said. The way his eyes crinkled at the corners made me believe that he really meant it. "Well, I look forward to watching your journey."

"Mm-hmm," was all I said this time, figuring it was safer than trying to formulate an actual sentence.

"McKayla," Cain said, turning his attention to her. "Always nice to see you."

"You too," she answered as Cain walked away.

Studying my friend's face, I thought I could just make out the hint of a blush coming on. But then, noticing me looking at her, she turned her head away quickly. The walls went back up again and she returned to strong, I-take-crap-from-no one, I'm-in-it-for-the-thrill McKayla.

"Told you," she said to Garrick with a satisfied smile, as she walked around him to follow our instructor up the light and bright stairs.

"You told me alright," Garrick agreed sarcastically, as he fell into step beside me. Then in a surprise move, he leaned over and knocked his shoulder into mine. "It's totally obvious he's into her."

The touch was enough to make me lose my balance, but somehow I managed to hold it together.

"Totally obvious," I agreed shakily, as we joined therest of the group upstairs.