"Just Keep Pressure On It"

Prompt 12: Just Keep Pressure On It

Suggested by @Clover-Rose

•••••••••••

"This isn't gonna work, you two." Michelle insisted as the three of them got on the roof of the apartment complex that Peter lived in.

She sat down with the book she was currently reading and glanced over it to see Ned and Peter setting up. "You're gonna set the whole damn complex on fire."

"I've made this work before, MJ." Peter insisted, stopping to put on his safety goggles. "Ye of little faith."

"I like to think it's ye of being rational, but that works too." She insisted as Ned came up with the bag of ice.

"Are we even going to be able to start a fire up here? It's freezing." He insisted, rubbing his hands together as soon as he set the bag on the ground.

"Yeah, we will. The wind might put it out though. Get your glasses." He insisted, before putting the chunk of ice on the ground. "MJ, you wanna get the alcohol?"

"Sure. Might as well get the fire extinguisher too, losers." She closed her book, and grabbed the fire extinguisher while handing him the rubbing alcohol.

He poured it into a small metal bowl, while Ned used the tongs to soak the ice thoroughly, and then set it on the ground.

Peter grabbed the kitchen lighter, flicked it on, and bent down close to the fire, touching the flame to the ice.

But, instead of a cute dancing flame, there was a explosion that had enough force to throw Peter back a few feet.

Michelle jumped into action, and started using the fire extinguisher, biting her lip as the contents covered the ice and the rest of the roof, before she finally turned it off.

And when the adrenaline started wearing off, that's when she saw what had happened to Peter.

He was crumpled to the ground, barely conscious and most likely incoherent. Not only that, but his jacket was literally burned off his body and was now showing a large blistering wound, along with the blood that was dripping down his left temple.

Ned, luckily, jumped into action and had torn off some of the paper towels they had brought to to the roof, before putting it on his head and gently leading his hand up to it.

"Keep that there, Peter," he instructed. "Just put pressure on it, okay? You gotta stay awake."

Wincing, Peter held the paper towels up to his head and did as Ned said. "But h'rts," he managed to mumble.

Ned looked sad and he was obviously worried, but he pushed them aside and focused on the matter at hand. "I know," he agreed. "But you're gonna be okay, alright? MJ and I are gonna take care of you, dude."

Peter, being half-conscious and obviously incoherent, didn't respond. It wasn't like Ned was expecting him to, though, so instead he turned to MJ and directed her on what to do.

"Help me get him downstairs," Ned instructed, gently using one hand to slip under his back while using the other to support his head.

Michelle lifted his legs, and used her other hand to go under his back, and, together, they got Peter downstairs and on the couch while Ned called an ambulance.

"Peter... You need to stay awake." She insisted, trying not to look down at the large chemical burn covering his abdomen, and, instead, focusing on his eyes and face.

"B't I'm t'red," The mumbled, his hand slowly growing more limp as the paper towels fell from his grip.

Before they could actually reach the ground, though, Michelle took them and pressed them back to his head. Then, gently squeezing Peter's hand, she had only hoped that he'd be okay and that the ambulance was on the way.

•••••••••••••••

Michelle looked down at her nails as the clock ticked in the waiting room. She and Ned had been there for a couple of hours after May had come home, and despite her offer to take them home, both of them were too worried to go to sleep.

She glanced around, noticing how quiet it was. There was a man and woman holding hands, the woman heavily pregnant, a little girl playing with a toy in her hands on a man's lap, covering her mouth every couple minutes to cough loudly, and then a man who seemed to have absolutely nothing wrong with him.

She turned to see Ned holding a Lego figurine in his hand, glancing up at the clock before turning to her. "How long has May been back there?"

"Fifteen minutes." Michelle said, turning back to the science magazine she was pretending to read.

"I hope he's okay." Ned insisted, before letting out a yawn, and going back to his figure in his hand.

Michelle was about to fall asleep when she heard the door click, and May came out into the hall. Her hair was frizzy and she looked tired, but she also looked relieved.

"How is he?" Peter's best friend asked as both of them stood up.

"Well, he has stitches in his head, and he obviously has that huge chemical burn, but he's gonna be okay. They wanna keep him for a couple of days, to make sure the burn doesn't get infected."

Both Michelle and Ned let out sighs of relief at the news that he was gonna be okay.

"But, because it's so late, they told me to tell you that visiting hours start tomorrow at ten a.m."

Michelle nodded, picking up her bag, before turning to Ned.

"I'll give you a ride home, loser."