Secret Flower Code

Pale yellow petals still tangled in my hair when you wished me your final goodbye. It wasn't intended to be that way, Saturday was still our coffee day at the time. Only three days away. Our final kiss was quick and sweet and the redolence of sunflowers clung to you. I guess if anything really summed up our relationship it would be that last kiss.
It was fall when we met, under a full moon at a dance both of our friends dragged us to. I didn't believe in love at first sight before then but your freckle kissed cheeks and bright blue eyes proved me wrong that night. How could I even describe the feeling that night? How could I put into words the feelings that flooded me when I saw the rest of my life in my soulmates eyes. I saw our fostered kids smiling faces and your maroon manicured nails digging in my back. I saw our first kiss and our white picket fence and our grey hair. I saw everything with you that night. And it was all cut short by some asshole with a gun and a shallow hatred for love. For us.
I'm glad it was you in a sense, you don't have to suffer like me. You got to look foward to that Saturday and I got to dread it for the rest of my life. I'll never love another like I loved you.
It was Spring when you said goodbye.
Persephone herself had kissed every sunflower braided in our hair. I had attempted to kiss every freckle on your face and you giggle uncontrollably, making me lose count. I wish I could try again, hear your laughter and feel the warmth in my chest at the sight of you.
I wish I could have told you back then.
But those flowers you braided in my hair said more than I ever could.