I - Prologue

Tyler's P.O.V

I was running. Running.

Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm an innocent man!

My feet were pounding furiously against the concrete as I panted. I raced away from the sirens, stumbling and almost tripping multiple times.

My heart had gone into overdrive, and panic had overtaken my senses. Sweat blinded me and I felt my muscles strain from the physical activity.

"Stop right there!" The man behind me shouted. I can't stop! I can't stop.

I ignored him and focused on keeping up my pace. My ankles and legs burned. This was the most activity I'd done in a while.

He was close. He was close. He was going to catch me. But-But...I didn't do it!

I could hear his voice near me.

'No!' My brain screamed at me.

I hadn't-I didn't-I couldn't.

I hadn't wanted to do it. Accident! It was an accident!

I heard chopper blades whirring through the air. My eyes were blind, my ears were deaf.

But I ran.

Suddenly, all I heard was pain.

I could hear pain.

That wasn't right.

A bullet whizzed past my ear, lightly scraping it. My hearing went deaf. But those voices in my head.

They never stopped!

I stumbled to the ground out of shock. My hands scraped the rocks and I felt cuts form on my legs, they stung with pain. 

I rolled for a moment, finally coming to a stop when I made contact with a wooden fence.

I grunted in pain as my vision blinked black.

I blinked my eyes hard, trying to stay conscious. I felt someone jostling me as metal circles were placed around my wrists...

Chaining me to my crimes.

"Officer," I mumbled through the pain. My voice came out slurred and raspy. "I didn't do it."

I see his sympathetic face. It looked blurry to me. He had a blurry face. "Then why did you run, son?"

Maybe I had wanted to do it.

Maybe I didn't feel bad.

Maybe. Maybe wasn't a good word.

Maybe it was a good word.

Maybe I wasn't a good person after all.

I shook my head and instantly regretted it. I tried to bring my hand up to my head to relieve myself of the pain, but I ended up yanking the handcuffs, and the cool metal bit into my skin.

And all of a sudden.

Everything went quiet.

Finally. Peace.

'You always run away from your problems.'

Huh. I guess Mom had been right.

And up till now, it had worked.

Silence.