14. detention with my favorite boy

     WE ARE DOOMED

WE ARE DOOMED. We are so doomed.

That's what Harper was thinking when Filch brought them to Professor McGonagall's office on the first floor. When she glanced aside, she could tell Harry was trembling too.

When Professor McGonagall appeared, she was not alone. I was surprise to see Neville behind her.

"Harry! Harper!" Neville bursted out the moment he saw them. "I was trying to find you to warn you, I hear Malfoy saying he was going to catch you. He said you had a drag—"

Harry and Harper quickly shook their heads to shut Neville up, but their luck was on its end as Professor McGonagall had seen it. She towered over them and Harper would rather face Norbert than an angry McGonagall.

"I would never have believed it of any of you. Mr Filch says you were up in the Astronomer Tower. It's one o'clock in the morning. Explain yourselves!"

No one answered as they all looked at their feet.

"I think I have a good idea of what's been going on," she continued. "It doesn't take a genius to find out."

Oh no, she knew.

"You fed Draco Malfoy some cock-and-bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of bed and into trouble," McGonagall went on and I had to hide my relief. "I've already caught him. I suppose you think it's funny that Longbottom here heard the story and believed it, too?"

Harper glanced at Neville, her eyes trying to tell him that that wouldn't be the case. He had tried to warn them. She didn't want to think they had fooled him.

"I'm disgusted," McGonagall said. "Four students out of bed in one night! I've never heard of such thing before! The three of you will get detention—yes, you too, Mr Longbottom, nothing gives you the right to walk around at night. And fifty points will be taken."

"Fifty?" Harper repeated, trying to understand if she had heard it right.

"Fifty points each," Professor McGonagall continued.