XI

"Say, (Y/N), do you think titans can yawn?" you flick your head to the right, only to make eye contact with an amused-looking Connie.

"Yes." Your response is curt and to-the-point.

"Well," Connie pauses for effect, "If yawns really are contagious, you'd probably be able to stop a dozen titans, just by making them stop and yawn every time they see you! Which is, like, always! Get it? Because you keep yawning? And because it's contagious? And you said titans can yawn?" Connie chuckles, glancing back at Sasha, trying to see if she heard.

You roll your eyes. His joke barely even makes sense. Regardless, you lean in next to him, "You know, Connie, if you really like Sasha that much, you don't need to impress her with jokes," you wink at him, "Ask her out. Standing on top of the walls, with a view like this...there's no better time!"

Connie gulps, embarrassed that you saw his glance, and shuts up.

He wasn't wrong with his first comment, though.

Last night, when Levi told you he didn't want to be friends anymore, you ended up getting no sleep. (Probably why you've been yawning nonstop for the past hour.) After all, your history together was so long, so complicated. How could he even think of throwing all that away?!

You close your eyes, trying to recall a happier time.

"Brat."

You arched your eyebrows and made a small "Hm?" sound, without making taking your eyes off the comic book you were reading.

"Brat."

You repeated the same motion, too intrigued by the plot to want to talk. Books were a rarity in the Underground. Interesting books were even rarer.

"Brat!"

You sighed and looked up from the pages. Learning about Jayjay's past would have to wait. "What is it, Levi? Can't you see I'm busy?"

Levi rolled his eyes and sat down in front of you, and he uttered four terrifying words, "We need to talk."

Your back straightened. The sleep from your eyes faded away. You were now diverting all your attention to Levi. "Talk about what?" Deep down inside, you didn't want to know the answer-you didn't know what to expect. But at the same time, you thought you knew.

You bit your lip as you waited for an answer, but Levi was taking his time to respond. That just made you more scared. A Levi who contemplated his words was not the Levi you loved. Levi only gave long silences where he drank tea. And, at the moment, he wasn't drinking tea OR lost in his thoughts.

He was actually trying to figure out what to say.

You swallowed hard and spoke up first, slowly starting to realize what Levi was probably trying to get at, "If you're..." you let your voice trail off when you began to feel your throat become thick. The last thing you wanted was to cry.

"I-if you're breaking up with me, you don't have to," you took a short breath in and then continued, "T-technically, we were never really even together in the first place. I mean, we never told anyone and our 'relationship' was more sexual than anything else and-" By that point, you were rambling. Trying to pretend that you felt nonchalant about your relationship with Levi.

Trying to pretend you weren't hurt.

Levi interrupted you, though. It was funny, you had always hated his habit of interrupting people, but for once, you were thankful that he stopped you.

"(Y/N)," Levi put a hand up, and you saw a glimmer of a smile on his face, "I'm not saying we should break up."

Your eyes lit up like lightbulbs.