Lee

It was all so disappointing. The city was in ruins. She had hoped to wash her hands clean of this place. Her work in The Narrows done, she had redeemed herself. But now?

She felt a responsibility, an obligation to these people still. Who else could help them in their time of crisis? Lee sighed and took a drink, watching the destruction from the window.

The city of Gotham wasn't the only thing that was destroyed. Some fanciful optimistic part of herself had been delusional enough to think she and Ed could escape together – make a life for themselves away from this place now that her work was over.

But that dream was gone too. Now that she could sit and think and not be caught up in the euphoria of having accomplished her goals, she realized who Ed truly was. A killer.

He had been planning to crush Jim to death, of that she had no doubt. And why? Because he was a part of her past? Because he was holding her back? Because he was someone she might still have feelings for? It was obvious that Ed had no qualms about ending Jim's life and she realized he likely had no qualms about ending hers either.

Yes, nothing escaped her notice in The Narrows. She had eventually found out about his plot to kill her - having employed the Toymaker to assassinate her back when she had first taken control of The Narrows – back when he had been her greatest supporter. He just couldn't help himself. She knew he loved her, but she also knew without a doubt that it was in his nature to kill the ones he loved.

Was it in hers?

Her hand caressed the knife she had placed by her side, ready and waiting for Ed. She knew she had to end it before he did. A pre-emptive strike.

Yet she was sad, weary. She had thought he had understood her, what she had become. He seemed to be the only one who had. And now she knew that no one did. Like Jim, he only wanted to change her.

She was so incredibly disappointed.

She took another drink and waited, knowing he would eventually find his way to her now that everything was falling apart.