Chapter 6

The next day I stood with Liz as the team got ready to board the bus, checking my phone for the hundredth time to see if Tony was going to wish me luck on the decathlon. Looking at the call log of all of the times I had called Tony this week and he simply didn't answer only upset me, so I shoved my phone back into the pocket of my yellow blazer.

"Hey, it's Peter!" Abraham announces. I quickly look up and see the adorable idiot, jogging towards the group.

"Peter?" Liz asks.

"Yeah... I was hoping I could maybe rejoin the team." He says hesitantly.

"NO! No way, you can't just quit on us and stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone." Flash argues.

"Hey, welcome back Peter!" Mr. Harrington exclaims, coming off the bus. "Flash you're back to first alternate." He adds.

"What?!"Flash asks breathlessly.

"He's taking your place!" Abraham exclaims.

The bus ride is filled with Liz grilling us all on questions. As we get closer to D.C. Peter gets a call and heads to the back of the bus. I lean back in my seat, attempting to eavesdrop when I hear him mention Happy's name.

We arrive at the hotel and I enter my room that I am sharing with Liz. We study for a few hours until Liz jumps up from the bed.

"Put this on." She demands, throwing my bathing suit at me.

"Liz, it's past curfew and I can't swim!" I protest.

"Come on! A rebellious group activity the day before competition boosts moral. And you don't have to swim... just sit there and look cute!" Liz says with a laugh.

"Fine." I agree, changing out of my t shirt and sweats and putting on a black bikini and throwing a pair of shorts on. We raid the mini bar and grab towels before knocking on everyone's door and telling them to get changed.

We were heading down to the pool when Peter walked out of his room wearing a hoodie and a backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Peter! Great timing!" Liz exclaims.

"H-hey Liz." Peter answers nervously, clearly not expecting to run into us.

"We're going swimming. Go throw a bathing suit on." She tells him as she waves the rest of us on.

I hang back as the group runs past and Flash slaps his butt. It's just me and Peter in the hallway now, the awkward tension settling around us as he turns around. I notice Peter glance at my chest for a split second before looking back up at me.

"I-I was just gonna go study in the business lounge." He stutters.

I cross my arms and try not to roll my eyes.

"You don't have to lie to me, Peter." I say and he looks away.

"And you definitely don't have to study. You're the smartest guy I know and I know Iron Man." I add with a smile, hoping it would make him laugh.

He just smiles softly, but the mention of Iron Man brought his mind back to the reason why we weren't on good terms, back to when Tony revealed the reason that I was at Midtown, and he just looks at me with a frown.

"I gotta go." he says quickly before taking off down the hall, leaving me standing there and thinking about how I royally screwed up.

I miss talking to Peter.

He's shut me out to the point I almost can't remember the sound of his laugh, or the way he used to look at me so intently when I spoke about the things that interested me. He's so much more than anyone can see. I miss everything about him, especially the way his lips felt on mine.