🌺2🌺

Halloween day.

The kids are all at school, eagerly waiting for it to be done with so they can go trick-or-treating and eat loads of candy over the weekend. Hannah-Marie is even more excited about going with her cousin, Jimmy, and his friends, Daryl, Katie, and Bert, along with Jimmy and Hannah's Aunt, Maria. Who had only been in town for a week maybe, but still formed stronger bonds with the children. Jimmy's friends even starting to form family like bonds with the woman. However, all of the children could sense that she was keeping something from the family.

At the moment, there are only a few minutes till school lets out, when Jimmy, his three friends, and Hannah will be picked up by Maria, who will drop each of them off at their homes so they can get ready and meet up at the cemetery that is near all of their houses. Jimmy and his friends are giddy for the candy and spooky talk Jimmy will coax his aunt into like every year when she would visit before Hannah was born. Hannah, however, was excited for the candy, but terrified of the spooky talk and the monsters. The bell rang as Hannah started to fiddle with her fingers.

"Hannah-Marie!" The young girl hears her cousin shout from outside the school. "Cmon! Aunt Maria is here!" His friends stand beside him.

"Coming!" She shouts as she pulls her small backpack on and almost trips.

"Careful, dear! No rush!" Maria yells to her niece as she herds the four older kids to the car, all while watching out for Hannah. "Ready?"

"Yup!" Hannah takes her backpack off before hopping into the back of the middle seat in the front of the car while Jimmy's friends are in the back three seats and him in the passenger. Maria gets into the drivers seat before helping Hannah buckle up. She turns and makes sure the rest are buckled.

"Alright." She nods, starting the car up and joining the line to exit school grounds. "Okay, so I do have some news. I won't be the only adult with you five, tonight. An old friend has come to town and wants to join."

"Is it Xiba–" Jimmy starts to say a name but Maria cuts him off.

"Yes, it is Joaquin." Maria says tensely as the children look at one another, Jimmy sending his aunt a look as he huffs.

"I was going to say Xibalb–" he's cut off again, but this time by the car.

"Oh. We've come to a stop. Bert, Daryl, Katie, isn't this your stop?" Maria asks with a forced smile. They nod, gather things and say goodbye to the two cousins and aunt. "Hannah, Jimmy, would you both please sit in the back? I'll be picking up Joaquin and then dropping you off, Jimmy."

"Alright, Auntie Maria." Hannah says as she gets out after her older cousin. They both hop in the back and buckle up, watching the passing houses and occasional tree as they head to the airport. They pick up a tall, handsome man with an outfit that has many medals on it.

 They pick up a tall, handsome man with an outfit that has many medals on it