Chapter 10

I told him one of my teachers was hosting a review session after school.

"If we come we get extra credit." He didn't have any objections after hearing that. 

I felt a little bad lying to him, but this was my only option. Or at least, that's what I told myself.

When I walked into the indoor swimming pool, I was so preoccupied with my own worries that I didn't even see Guzmán. Then I heard the sound of water splashing and felt a shiver run through my body.

He was gliding through the water—so graceful. I stood there, for what had to be a good minute, just watching him practice. Or maybe not practice, maybe he was just enjoying the water. A strange thought since it seemed as if Guzmán never fully enjoyed anything. I always felt that no matter what, no matter how hard he tried to act as if he didn't care, he cared way too much.

He finally spotted me and got out. He walked toward me with a big smile on his face. 

"Well well well, look who managed to make it," he said as he picked up a towel. "You know, I honestly thought you wouldn't show." 

He ran the towel through his hair, then over his body, and I felt my face get hot. I didn't blush easily, but right now I was sure I was bright red. I tried to keep my eyes on his face, but they had other plans and kept perusing his body.

"You like what you see?" he asked. 

I felt like he was mocking me and looked away for good. I would not be made fun of.

I finally got it together and sternly told him I thought we should get started.

"Alright, well I guess I'll start." He wrapped the towel around his waist, thank goodness, and walked over to a bench. He patted the spot next to him as if he expected me to sit next to him. When he was practically naked.

"U-um, shouldn't you get dressed first?" I sputtered out.

"What, it seemed like you liked how much I had on just a few seconds ago," he said with a chuckle.

I took a deep, angry breath. "Look—"

"Okay, don't even finish that sentence. I'll stop," he looked resigned. "But I'm not gonna go get dressed. After we're done, I'm getting back in the pool."

I put my bag down and took out my notebook and pencil.

"Wow, someone likes to swim. How long were you in there before I came anyway?"

"Not long enough," he said under his breath.

I wanted to ask what he meant by that, but I had a feeling the answer might make me want to comfort him. If my brain malfunction earlier was any indication, I didn't need any more ammunition to want to like him. Besides, that was what his girlfriend was for—she was supposed to be the one he talked to. Not me.

"Hmm," I said as I opened to a blank page. "Okay, so first things first, what—"

"Jeez, Nadia," he said exasperated. "You can come sit next to me you know. I won't bite."

I wasn't so sure of that, but I obliged.

"Okay, as I was saying. What—"

"Why are you always so closed off?"

"Guzmán please," I hissed. "We need to get through these questions."

"And we will. As soon as you answer some of my own," he said.

I looked into his eyes and I saw that he meant business. He could be so stubborn sometimes.

"What are your questions?" I said. Knowing I was indulging him, but not knowing any other way to get him to want to get our assignment done. "And maybe start off with something less existential next time."