Chapter Two

On the plane, Ellery read through the files as Hotch summed up what the plan was when they arrived and what they already knew about the victim this time around.

“What alerted the police this time was how visible the branding was. It appears that our un-sub is enjoying the fact that we recognise his signature on the victims and has decided to make it clearer. He’s actually progressed to branding the women like cattle, if this victim is anything to go by.”

“He’s taking pleasure in us recognising him. He wants the rest of the country too as well.” Morgan stated with a small nod.

“The signature distinguishes his killings from anyone else’s.” JJ added.

The whole time they were talking, Ellery remained silent. She was staring at the newest file to the collection, hoping to find something that would kick start this case before they landed. The Carver was the only killer to haunt her since the time she started working for the FBI and it was for reasons none of this team could read in a file.

Reid glanced across at her. He knew that when she was thinking, searching for valuable information, she fell silent. She slipped into her own world in a manner similar to how he worked also, but the difference was that Ellery would often stay in hers until she found something to work with. He knew she would be listening and adding what the team said to what she was reading in the file, but he did worry that this case may be a little too personal for the young agent to take it easy. He was about to focus on Hotch again when Ellery’s soft voice broke through the silence.

“He’s going to make verbal contact this time; a phone call maybe.” She looked up shyly, noticing the five pairs of eyes looking at her.

“Why?” Rossi asked, struggling to understand her sudden prediction.

“He likes to taunt us and he’s growing more confident. He’s going to want to waste no time in starting the chase; it’s what he gets the thrill from when the murder leaves him feeling unfulfilled.” She said, chewing on her lip as she thought it over again.

“The murders leave him feeling unfulfilled?” Morgan looked sceptical, but was willing to give the new addition a chance.

“For a short time. He’s not found a victim who will fight him until the very end; they’ve all been broken down first and then begged for death, like we’ve already been able to derive from the evidence. Once he’s killed them, he needs to start the cycle again, but that takes him time and he grows restless with the silence. Contacting us, mocking us, it’s a way to keep the ecstasy alive. He doesn’t keep trophies that we know of or return to the dump sites. It’s the only way he can settle the restlessness and make sure that we still know he’s out there getting away with it.”

“But why change from letters to a phone call?” JJ asked.

“Because he’s growing more confident. He wants to control the investigation as much as he wants to control his victims.” Reid answered, understanding Ellery’s theory faster than the others.

“So what do we do when he makes contact?” Rossi folded his arms and studied the two younger profilers.

“That depends on what he wants this time. In Chicago he taunted us with letters and videos of his victims, but they arrived later in the case. Back then it was just about beating us, but now it seems to me like he’d want something more after taking such a long break from killing.” Ellery explained slowly, her eyes narrowed as she processed this idea over and over again, not wanting to be wrong about this call.

“Well, let’s see if you’re right. If you are, we might be one step closer to catching this guy.” Hotch said, sitting back down as the plane began to descend.