032

August

Once we pulled up to Ava's parent's house I realized I didn't want to be here. The last time I was here...her dad was beating on her mom.

I killed the engine and took off my seat belt. Ava went to open her door when I stopped her.

"I feel like I should tell 'ya 'dis...before we go in 'hea." She looked over at me and I sighed.

"The last time I was 'hea...I saw 'ya mom's get thrown out of 'da house...literally." She stared at me for a while before she closed her eyes and nodded.

"Okay," she said her eyes still closed. She opened her eyes and opened the car door. I got out for the car behind her as she walked up to the door using the key she still had from this place.

Once she pushed open the door, her mother and father were having one of their very disturbing arguments.

"Why are you doing this to yourself," her mother yelled.

"Why are you constantly nagging me?"

"We haven't talked to our daughter in so long, David...don't you ever wonder how she's doing? Where she is or how she's living?"

"She is the one who decided to run off with that thing," I heard her dad say. Ava put her finger to her lip telling me to be quiet.

"David...he loves her, and that should be all that matters. Don't you see that? We haven't even checked up on her for crying out loud!"

"Who are you yelling at," he asked through clenched teeth.

"You, because that is our daughter and you haven't talked to her in four months," she yelled.

"I'm ashamed to even call you my husband," she said. "You are always drunk or high, and I refuse to let you bring me down with you."

"What are you saying," he asked still sounding angry.

"I want us to separate, David. Just until you get your shit together."

"You're not going anywhere," I heard him yell.

"Back up, David," she said. I pulled Ava behind me as we stepped up the stairs quietly.

"David, let go of me! Now!"

I heard grunts before the sound of someone being pushed onto a bed, spread through the empty house.

"David!"

"Shut up," he said before a slap sounded down the halls. I clenched my jaw and pushed the door to their bedroom open.

What I saw was disturbing. My eyes widened at the sight and I instantly ran up to her dad and pushed him.
He flew off the bed and I helped Ava's mother up. He was literally going to rape her. I felt someone push me and I looked up to see her dad.

Ava helped her mother out of the room and her dad tried to follow them.

"You need help man...and fast," I mumbled turning on my heels and pulling up my pants.

"Figure out who's after you yet," he asked as he followed behind me.

"Might not want to bring my daughter into that, my son," he said. "I don't play about that one," he said his words now beginning to slur.

"But yet you kicked her out 'da house without any kind of support for herself...over a damn puppy," I snapped. I scoffed and walked out of the room slamming the door behind me.

Once I made it down the stairs I saw Ava was outside helping her mother into the car.

"I can't believe he would try to do something like that," her mother exclaimed.

"I'm so glad to finally see you, baby girl. It's not like how I wanted it to be, but I'm glad you showed up when you did," she said tears rolling down her cheeks.

Her eyes were low as if she hadn't slept in weeks, her hair was everywhere, and her clothes were worn out and dirty. Which was weird because they had all of the money they needed.

"Momma, how long has this been going on," Ava asked.

"Ever since you left," she said. "It wasn't as bad as it is now, but it was terrible. He started staying out late and doing whatever. I'm just tired."

"Well you can come home with me," Ava said rubbing her mother's shoulder.

"You would let me?"

"You're my mother, despite everything."