Harry Meets Draco

Harry Potter didn't go anywhere without the looming threat of being recognized, but he certainly did not count on being approached by Draco Malfoy. The blond man was sporting a gentle smile, the first of its kind Harry had ever seen on his face. Draco had changed over the years. He had faint scars decorating his slender face and wrinkles on his forehead from months of stress. But despite the white lines and creases in his skin, he seemed to be in a pleasant and peaceful mood. His hands hung out of long denim sleeves by his sides, long, thin fingers grazing his khakis.

"Potter." His lips tilted up. "Harry," he amended. The other man was forced to admit his name sounded nice when it was formed by Draco's lips.

Harry Potter's smile was not as distant and detached as he had meant it to be. A grin overtook his face, the kind that crept up on you and widened your lips until your cheeks ached.

"Draco Malfoy," Harry drawled. "What brings you here?" He had to look down to catch Draco's eyes with his own. The noticeable height difference was new, but Draco's cool blue-gray eyes were not. They were the same ones he had glared at and studied and mulled over at Hogwarts. They were just as enticing and had the same sharp kick to them, like the on-looker was taking a risk by gazing into them. Harry had difficulty turning away.

Draco did not quite know what brought him to the Harry Potter merchandise store, "Expelliarmus." Perhaps, as he was strolling up and down the streets of London, it occurred to him that it was something he would ceaselessly tease him over. Perhaps it was also the wand replicas and figurines in the store window and the little Harry Potter portrait with the boy glancing off to each side, wondering why he was there. Whatever it was, he now found himself face to face with the Boy Who Lived, who was hiding in between aisles.

"I didn't know you'd be manning your own merchandise store," Draco said, avoiding the question. Harry made an angry noise and hung his head.

"I wouldn't, if it were up to me. They want me here for publicity."

"Do you want to take a walk? Catch up on life after the war?"

"I would love to, Draco." It gave Harry a certain satisfaction saying his first name and watching his cheeks flush. The men left the store after Draco gave into Harry's pleading and checked the front for any fans. The sun was resting in its high perch in the sky and encouraging Harry and Draco to shield their eyes. Harry wasn't sure if Draco wanted to go to Diagon Alley. He had never seen him among Muggles before. Draco didn't seem to be heading to Diagon Alley - on the contrary, he was admiring the Muggle gardens and vibrantly painted houses.

"How's life treating you after the war?"

Draco hummed in response, conjuring up a reply. "Well enough, actually," he said with a smile. Harry knew this couldn't be perfectly true. Although Draco had been cleared of all charges, he carried with him the horrors of the war just like Harry did himself. Draco rolled up the sleeve of his indigo button-up shirt and held out his forearm to Harry to see. Pastel flowers were woven in between the lines of his Dark Mark. Harry let out a small sigh without intending to.

"It's beautiful." He looked up at Draco for approval, and the man nodded. Harry traced the tattoo on his arm with a gentle finger.

"It's actually a Muggle tattoo. Didn't look twice at the mark, really." It shouldn't have surprised Harry that he was open to Muggles now. His actions during his Hogwarts years did not define him, after all. Just like Harry's unobservant nature was characteristic only to his teenage years. Harry had gotten better over the years, as Hermione had noted, and he could certainly see that the energy between them was not nearly as tense. There were smiles on both of their faces, and there was not a threat in either of their minds. All was well.

"So, are you still with Ginny?" Draco's voice was casual and indifferent, but he met Harry's eyes with an unmistakable interest.

"No, we split up after the war. Still friends, though. She's with Luna now, isn't that sudden?" Harry let the silence settle for a moment between them. "What about you, are you... together with anyone?"

Draco shook his head like convincing Harry otherwise was very important. Harry took a minute to wonder why it made him pleased to hear this. The walk continued for several silent minutes more until they found themselves at the end of a block and turned to face each other.

"Would you want to - er - get coffee sometime?" Harry let his eyes focus on Draco's breast pocket instead of his face.

"I'd be honored to spend a day with the Chosen One," Draco teased. Harry grinned and noticed that if it were fourth year he would have been annoyed.

"Well then, send me an owl." Draco smiled back at him and crossed the street. Harry watched him walk for a few seconds before turning around and walking back to the store with a grin he couldn't wipe off his face.