Chapter 14

This local mall only consists of a few stores, most of them are parts of a large chain of stores: Maurice's, ShopKo, Glik's, Johanne Fabrics, Payless Shoes and a food court, which is actually where I work. 

The boys all head towards the ShopKo while I start walking towards the food court.

"Sarah, are you coming?" Liam calls out. I stop and turn around, seeing him waiting by the entrance to the ShopKo. 

"I'll catch up with you guys!" I call out and turn back around, walking towards the small café at the food court where I work. 

"Hey, Sarah!" My boss Melanie greets as she sees me walk into the café. 

"Hi! Is my check ready? I should have time today at some point to cash it at the bank," I say, leaning my hip up against the counter. 

Melanie nods her head cheerily, turning around and walking into the back area. 

I can't believe everything has happened so fast. One second, I'm home, being abused by my father and at school, being bullied and abused by my classmates. The next, the boys swoop in and save me, and now I'm basically living with them. 

Everything has just happened so fast and I don't know - A tap on my shoulder snaps me out of my trance. I turn around, seeing Liam standing behind me. 

"Hey! Are you ordering a coffee or something? Here, let me pay-" Liam starts to reach for his wallet. 

I quickly place my hand on his forearm, stopping him as he looks back up at me, a look of confusion clouding his features. 

"I'm just picking up my paycheck. I work here," I say, glancing behind the counter, hearing Melanie return from the back. 

"Here you go!" she sing-says, holding my check out towards me. 

I take it, smiling over at her, "thank you!"

I take out my phone and pull out the banking app that I had installed right when I started working.

I scan in my check, seeing my balance go from $2,000 to $2,400 based on the amount of hours I had been working lately and the length of each pay-period.

"You ready? We can meet up with the lads in ShopKo. They said they were going to find the area with the furniture and bedding stuff." I nod and Liam and I walk out of the café.