Chapter 1

It was a crisp, cold, October night, Ernie's plump, tangerine face absorbing the moonlight in his sleep. Bert lie awake, struggling to sleep due to the low temperature of the room. He then got out of bed, and approached his lifelong roommate.

"If only you knew the truth, my sleeping beauty..." he said to himself, in a quiet whisper. Ernie just snored softly in his seemingly eternal slumber, which Bert found to be very cute.

Bert then picked up Ernie's favorite rubber ducky and crept towards the window, gently leaning his arm on the window sill. Ernie shifted a bit as the ray emitted from the bright moon was blocked, but did not wake up. Bert caressed the rubber duck in his hand, as he began his serenade.

♫When I was... His only friend...
He was just so... Cute and sweet...
He pissed me off, but that's alright...
We held hands, until the end...
Though I love him, and he don't know...
I remember... His cutesy toes...♫

"Bert, why are you stroking my rubber ducky?" Ernie asked suddenly, startling Bert.

Bert replied, in a calm, soothing voice, "Because, Ernie... I love ducks..." He couldn't tell Ernie the truth. "Just go back to sleep."

"Okay, Bert," Ernie said, then drifted off back to sleep.

Bert laid back down and didn't sleep a wink that night.