Commitment to GOD

Read this…

Commitment is following Jesus. Commitment demands a choice. Jesus wasted no time getting to the heart of commitment: Either the disciples would be committed to Him and deny their own desires. Or they would be determined to go their own ways and deny Him. The choice to commit is the same for all believers—either deny ourselves or deny Him; either go His way or we pursue our way.

Talk about Christ would be meaningless without the walk with Him. The disciples were to take up their crosses. Carrying the cross beam was a public declaration of Rome’s authority. Jesus challenged them to put themselves voluntarily under God’s authority, doing His will His way. Commitment demands action; it cannot be divorced from responsibility. It extends beyond our relationship to God to other areas of life. Ruth’s words of commitment to Naomi did not speak as loudly as did her actions. She left her family and homeland to return with Naomi to Bethlehem.

Commitment builds up faith and develops character. It is a spiritual discipline requiring time, work and determination. (Jason Vinson, sermons.org)

Back it up…

God expects us to commit to Him:

Ourselves: Psalm 22:8 (NIV) He trusts in the Lord; let the Lord rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.

Our burdens: Psalm 55:22 (NIV) Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

Our souls. 1 Peter 4:19 (NIV) So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

Our way. Psalm 37:5 (NIV) Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him.

Our works. Proverbs 16:3 (NIV) Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

Make it personal…

Lord, teach me how to be committed to You as You are to me. Help me to do all that I do for Your glory. Thank You for Your faithfulness and unchanging commitment.