The Last One

The Steller sea lion. AKA: the northern sea lion. Not to be confused with the California sea lions.  The first time April Smith saw a Steller sea lion was when she was fourteen. Her family was on their boat at Homer, Alaska, near the Gulf of Alaska. It was June, around the birthing season, and from the boat, April could see a couple of pups. The Steller sea lions, or as she liked to joke: the "Stellar" sea lions, instantly became her fascination. 

22 years later, April has become a marine biologist. 22 years later, it's 2040. Now there is only one known Steller sea lion left. They called her Stella, and she was last seen at the Gulf of Alaska, a previously large breeding spot. April sat in her boat headed to find Stella, wondering how she could have let this happen. People saw the bunches of California sea lions and mistook them for her sea lions. Meanwhile, the Steller sea lions had disappeared.

Once her boat reached their destination April scanned the water for any movement. For a moment April was fourteen again. The water was the same. The distant city of Homer was the same. But then there were no deep roarings of the sea lions. Taking out her binoculars, she scanned the closest shore. She paused. Could it be? Yes, it was. It was Stella, lounging by the water. April shouted some orders and brought them a short way away from Stella, so they wouldn't frighten her.

As April got closer, she realized something was very wrong. April sped up. She reached the sea lion and almost cried. An old plastic packing band was wrapped around Stella's neck. April's heart broke as she took in Stella's bloated head as the plastic cut into her neck. She didn't know how long the band was wrapped around Stella's neck, but it was enough to cause damage. It cut deep into Stella's neck and with a terrifying thought, April realized there was nothing she could do.

April knelt beside the animal. She reached out with a shaking hand and gently placed it on Stella's back. Stella barked weakly, but couldn't do anything else. April saw birds circle overhead. They knew that something below them was dying. April began to stroke Stella. She stroked the sea lion's back until April realized Stella was gone. 

Then she cried. She had failed. Stella was gone. The very thing that had inspired her to become what she is today was gone. The Steller sea lion was now just stories. April dried her tears and stood up. A few feet away she saw a plastic bottle and picked it up. She thought about the stories of sea turtles choking on plastic bags and about fish and whales getting trapped in plastic nets. 

With new determination, April started her plan of removing all plastic from the ocean. She started her plan to make a change.

OkSoIDidn'tRealizeThatMyStoryHadToBeBasedOnSomePicturesSoHereIsMyOtherStory: https://www.wattpad.com/652599312-the-plastic-sea