Prologue

The Second Wizarding War was over, and eight months had passed. Kingsley Shacklebolt was named the new Ministry of Magic and set out to rid the Ministry of corruption and discrimination. In doing so, he re-evaluated all of the ministry systems, starting with the abolishment of outdated laws that promoted discrimination toward magical creatures or blood status. All of the employees that were connected to the Death Eaters were investigated, tried and sentenced accordingly. While the competent Hogwarts graduates were hired to fill the empty positions left, regardless of their blood status.

With all the changes taking places, the Ministry was now busier than ever. At seven thirty in the morning, the building was already swamped with hundreds of people coming in to start work. Kingsley himself was settled in his office. He was busy examining rolls of parchment containing long texts for the newly passed Regulation and Control of Magical Creature Law when someone burst into his office without as much as a knock or a hello.

He lifted his face from the stack of parchments and found Hermione Granger standing in front of him.

"So you found my parents?" asked Hermione.

"Miss Granger,"

"You found them?" Hermione repeated her question impatiently.

"Yes, but I recall asking you to meet me here at 8 o'clock, and it is currently..." He looked at the clock hanging on the wall. "7:35"

"I'm sorry. I couldn't sleep until I knew they were alright." She replied.

Kingsley's face turned grim. He had received news from his associates at the Australian Ministry of Magic yesterday regarding her parent's whereabouts. And it wasn't at all good news. Delivering it to Hermione would be hard but it had to be done.

"Why don't you take a seat first." He pointed her to the chesterfield sofa in the corner. Hermione obediently sat herself while Kingsley opened his desk drawer, pulled out a thick 10x13 manila envelope and approached Hermione taking a seat beside her.

"Miss Granger," His voice was soft as he began speaking. "I am so sorry to inform you, but your parents were in a car accident on July 5th and... they didn't make it."

For a moment Hermione stared at him in disbelief. She was hoping he would suddenly smile and tell her it was a joke. A terrible joke. But he never did. The serious look on his face told her that he was speaking the truth.

"My parents..." Her voice broke "...they're gone?"

Kingsley nodded weakly. He held Hermione's hands, rubbing his thumb gently along the back. "Yes, Hermione. And I'm speaking as your friend, I am really sorry for your loss."

Hermione closed her eyes and tears started pouring out. She bit her lip in an effort to hold back her cries, but it was useless. The second she realized she'd never see her parents again, a painful and despaired groan escaped from her lips.

It was really hard for Kingsley to see Hermione in so much pain. After all she had been through, she didn't deserve this. The war had brought on so much heartbreak, to lose your parents over something so trivial was unjust. He wished he could do something to lessen her pain. But he knew he couldn't. So he sat there and waited patiently as Hermione cried and groaned, and when she finally calmed down, he asked.

"Are you alright?"

"My parents are dead." She sobbed "I did everything I could to protect them, and it was all for nothing. I modified their memories, made them forget they had a daughter, and sent them far away from the war to Australia, so they could be safe... but I sent them to their death instead. Ironic isn't it?" She laughed sarcastically.